Don't miss




France 24 meets George Weah ahead of inauguration

Read more


Gymnast's fierce courtroom address

Read more


A whole new world: Trump anniversary special

Read more

#TECH 24

Will artificial intelligence ever surpass the human brain?

Read more


Aiding migrants in France: What are the legal implications?

Read more


The challenge of clearing Colombia of landmines

Read more


Video: Gambians reflect on first year of democracy

Read more


Pitti Uomo in Florence, the world's largest men's fashion showcase

Read more


Award-winning Filipino filmmaker Brillante Mendoza on keeping it real

Read more

Manchester United earn slimmest of leads over Arsenal

Latest update : 2009-05-02

In the all-English second semi-final, Manchester United just beat their London arch rivals Arsenal 1-0. Next week, Alex Ferguson's men will take their precious point to London where the young Gunners will want to show off their skills at home.

AFP - Manchester United will take a 1-0 lead into the second leg of their Champions League semi-final with Arsenal after the holders failed to fully capitalise on their domination here on Wednesday.

An inspired display from Gunners goalkeeper Manuel Almunia ensured that John O'Shea's 17th-minute strike - only his second Champions League goal in his 60th appearance in the competition - was the only reward Sir Alex Ferguson's side reaped from a first leg encounter they comfortably controlled.

O'Shea admitted United had not made the most of the chances they created.

"Their keeper made a couple of great saves but from the first-half we could have been a couple more up," the Ireland defender said. "Overall though we have to be happy. We are more than capable of scoring an away goal at the Emirates but it is far from over."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admitted he had been relieved to see his side concede only one goal but insisted they could turn things around at the Emirates next week.

"Almunia kept us in the tie and we want to take advantage of that," the Frenchman said. "But it is very balanced. We still believe we will do it at home and you will see a different Arsenal next week."

Carlos Tevez's decisive role in the weekend comeback against Tottenham earned him a place in a United starting line-up in which there was no room for either Dimitar Berbatov or Ryan Giggs, who was made to wait until 66 minutes had elapsed before coming on to make his 800th appearance for the club.

Arsenal's defensive problems were eased as former United centreback Mikael Silvestre and teenage leftback Kieran Gibbs both came through late fitness tests, although the opening exchanges hardly inspired confidence in a back four missing both William Gallas and Gael Clichy.

Within two minutes, Darren Fletcher's cross had given Wayne Rooney the chance to force Manuel Almunia into a fine one-handed save and it quickly became apparent that Arsenal would struggle to cope with the tempo of United's opening salvoes.

A superb double save from Almunia denied Tevez just after quarter of an hour had elapsed but the resulting corner saw the holders claim the opener that their efforts deserved.

The initial delivery failed to trouble the Arsenal backline but, fatally, Michael Carrick was allowed to pick the ball up beyond the back post and hook it back across goal.

Theo Walcott's attempt to intercept only served to direct the ball into the path of O'Shea and the Ireland defender finished with the aplomb of a seasoned striker, hitting a half-volley into the roof of the net.

Still reeling from that setback, Arsenal were fortunate not to concede a second when Cristiano Ronaldo headed an inviting cross from Tevez straight at Almunia.

But as the first half came to a close, the visitors began to string a few passes together although there were no clear chances to show for their attractive build-up and Almunia had to be quickly off his line to deny Ronaldo after a slipshod passback by Gibbs.

With United's energy levels slipping, chances were thinner on the ground after the interval, but the hosts were still unfortunate not to double their lead with just over 20 minutes left after a piece of brilliance from Ronaldo.

Picking up a loose ball just inside the Gunners' half, the Portuguese winger advanced to within 30 yards of the goal before unleashing a wickedly dipping drive that left Almunia completely stranded but clattered against the bar.

By that stage, Giggs had entered the fray and the frustration of the evening for United was summed up by the fact that only a fractional offside decision prevented the veteran Welsh winger from marking his landmark appearance with a goal.

Date created : 2009-04-29