Health Minister Roselyne Bachelot said two A/H1N1 swine flu infections have been confirmed and 22 cases are being investigated, with seven considered 'probable'. All are people who had travelled to Mexico.
AFP - France has confirmed two swine flu infections and is investigating 34 more possible cases, Health Minister Roselyne Bachelot said Friday, as the illness continued to spread worldwide.
"These people are well. They have been given antiviral treatments," she said, adding that the victims were travellers: "They all came from Mexico. It is not therefore an infection that has been passed on in our country."
Bachelot said a 49-year-old man was being treated in northern Paris, and a 24-year-old woman in the city centre, while there was another "very strongly suspected" case in the capital.
France's neighbours Britain, Germany and Spain had already confirmed cases of the A(H1NI) strain of flu among people who had visited Mexico or been in contact with them, and France's announcement was expected.
Aside from the two confirmed and one suspect case in Paris, two separate "probable" cases were being investigated in the Aquitaine and Midi-Pyrenees regions of southwestern France, according to French monitoring agency.
In total, it said, 36 possible French cases were being monitored.
Date created : 2009-05-02