Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Algerian jihadists execute French hostage

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Central African Republic: Violence returns to Bangui

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Liberia - Ebola crisis: Calls for health workers strike largely ignored

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola epidemic: Cases will 'rise above 9,000 this week', WHO says

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Nigeria: reports of ceasefire between government and Boko Haram

Read more

WEB NEWS

Data centers: un coût énergétique trop élevé

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Might #BringBackOurGirls have worked?

Read more

DEBATE

Ebola - Keep Calm: Psychosis in Europe and the US as Disease Wreaks Havoc in Africa

Read more

REPORTERS

Uruguay: President Mujica’s social revolution

Read more

Business

Three bids for GM's struggling Opel

Latest update : 2009-05-22

As expected, Italian carmaker Fiat, Canadian autoparts maker Magna and the RHJ International holding company have all submitted their bids to take over troubled German carmaker Opel, subsidiary of General Motors.

AFP - General Motors Europe confirmed Wednesday that Italy's Fiat, Canadian autoparts maker Magna and the RHJ International holding company have made offers to take over its Opel unit.

"The three have all presented formal offers," a GM spokesman told AFP. "There were no surprises."

Fiat had earlier in the day revealed it had put down an offer for Opel and its British brand Vauxhall.

The others are Magna, with support from Russian manufacturer GAZ, and Brussels-based RHJ International, whose main shareholder is the founder of the US investment fund Ripplewood.

The German government had asked for detailed bids to be submitted before 6 pm (1600 GMT) in order to determine what state aid might be forthcoming.

The DresdnerKleinwort bank, a unit of the recently part-nationalised Commerzbank, has been tasked with studying the offers.

Date created : 2009-05-20

COMMENT(S)