Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Nigerian air force mistakenly bombs refugee camp killing at least 50 people

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Brexit Means Hard Brexit

Read more

THE DEBATE

Hard Brexit, here we come: UK to leave EU common market (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Hard Brexit, here we come: The blowback against globalisationt (part 2)

Read more

ENCORE!

Art on the wire and online: Jean-Hubert Martin on curating in cyberspace

Read more

FOCUS

Inside China's answer to Silicon Valley

Read more

ACCESS ASIA

Behind the scenes at China's Harbin snow festival

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'Donald Trump is a great friend of Israel'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Davos 2017: World Economic Forum wary of post-Brexit future

Read more

Asia-pacific

Three men executed in public over mosque bombing

Video by Saeed Kamali DEHGHAN

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-05-31

Iran publicly executed three men convicted of involvement in Thursday's mosque bombing in the city of Zahedan, according to news agencies. Washington has denied Iranian accusations of being behind the attack that killed 25 people.

REUTERS - Iran executed in public on Saturday three men convicted of involvement in a bomb attack on a mosque that killed 25 people, the official IRNA news agency reported.

The bombing in a crowded Shi’ite mosque on Thursday evening wounded more than 120 people in the southeastern city of Zahedan, two weeks before a presidential election in the Islamic Republic.

“Three people convicted of being involved in the recent terrorist bombing in Zahedan were hanged in public on Saturday morning,” IRNA said, adding that the executions took place near the mosque where the bombing took place.

A Sunni opposition group named Jundollah (God’s Soldiers), which Iran says is part of the Islamist al Qaeda network and backed by the United States, said it was behind the bombing, Saudi-owned Al Arabiya television said on Friday.

Ebrahim Hamidi, a local judiciary official, said the men were convicted after going through the normal judiciary process, adding that they were also involved in past “terrorist activities”.

“The bombing happened with the explosives these three convicted criminals brought to the country,” Hamidi said.

“They were convicted as ‘mohareb’ (one who wages war against God), ‘corrupt on the earth’ and acting against national security,” he said.

It was not possible to verify the claim of Jundollah, which says it fights for the rights of Iran’s minority Sunnis.

Thursday’s bombing was deadliest such incident in Iran since its 1980-88 war with Iraq. A blast in a mosque in the southern city of Shiraz killed 14 people in April last year but the country has otherwise been relatively peaceful.

Iran has in the past accused the United States of supporting Sunni rebels operating on its border with Pakistan. Tehran repeated the claim on Friday, saying the “terrorists were equipped by America”. Washington denied the allegation.

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei condemned the bombing, saying “no one can doubt that the hands of ... some interfering powers and their spying services are bloodied by the blood of the innocent.”

He called on Iranians “to pay attention to the conspiracies of the enemies”.

Sistan-Baluchestan province, home to Iran’s mostly Sunni ethnic Baluchis, is the scene of frequent clashes between security forces and heavily armed drug smugglers and bandits.

Date created : 2009-05-30

COMMENT(S)