Brawn GP's Jenson Button extended his lead at the head of the drivers' world championship to more than 20 points on Sunday when he cruised to victory in the Turkish Grand Prix, his sixth win in seven races.
REUTERS - Formula One leader Jenson Button ran away with the Turkish Grand Prix on Sunday for his sixth victory in seven races.
Australian Mark Webber was runner-up for Red Bull, taking the chequered flag 6.7 seconds behind the Briton's Brawn to equal his best ever finish, with his 21-year-old German team mate Sebastian Vettel third after starting on pole position.
Button stretched his championship lead over Brazilian team mate Rubens Barrichello, who failed to finish after a stalled
start left him fighting way down the field, to 26 points with 10 races remaining.
The Briton has 61 points, Barrichello 35 and Vettel 29.
Provisional result after the Formula One Turkish Grand Prix at Istanbul Otodrom on Sunday :
1. Jenson Button (Britain) Brawn - Mercedes 1:26:24.848
2. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault 00:06.714
3. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull - Renault 00:07.461
4. Jarno Trulli (Italy) Toyota 00:27.843
5. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Williams - Toyota 00:31.539
6. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari 00:39.996
7. Robert Kubica (Poland) BMW Sauber 00:46.246
8. Timo Glock (Germany) Toyota 00:46.959
9. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari 00:50.246
10. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Renault 01:02.420
11. Nick Heidfeld (Germany) BMW Sauber 01:04.327
12. Kazuki Nakajima (Japan) Williams - Toyota 01:06.376
13. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren - Mercedes 01:20.454
14. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) McLaren - Mercedes 1 lap
15. Sebastien Buemi (Switzerland) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1 lap
16. Nelson Piquet (Brazil) Renault 1 lap
17. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Force India - Mercedes 1 lap
18. Sebastien Bourdais (France) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1 lap
r. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) Brawn -Mercedes 11 laps
r. Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy) Force India-Mercedes 54 laps
(rank: r = retired, nc = not classified)
Fastest Lap: Jenson Button, 1:27.579, lap 40.
Date created : 2009-06-07