World number one Rafael Nadal says he will not be defending his title at the All England Club after failing to recover from a knee injury sustained at the French Open.
REUTERS - Champion Rafael Nadal pulled out of Wimbledon on Friday after losing his battle to recover from a knee injury.
"Unfortunately this year I won't be able to play at Wimbledon," he told a news conference.
The Spaniard, who has been struggling with tendinitis in his knees since being knocked out of the French Open last month, tested his fitness in two exhibition matches this week but after losing both decided not to defend his Wimbledon title just three days before the start of the major.
He will be the first man not to defend his All England Club crown since Croatia's Goran Ivanisevic skipped the grasscourt grand slam in 2002.
Date created : 2009-06-19