Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Kenya : Police arrest 8 over Mombasa rampage

Read more

FOCUS

Overfishing and the global appetite for bluefin tuna: can Tokyo turn the tide?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Too many graphic images from Gaza ?

Read more

FASHION

Who's next in Paris, an event with international ready-to-wear and fashion accessories collections

Read more

ENCORE!

Tunisia's Carthage International Festival turns 50

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

Muslims and Christians clean up Bangui, and violence spirals out of control in Algeria's Gardaia

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Is there such thing as 'telegenic' victims of war?

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

2014-07-22 07:21 IN THE FRENCH PRESS

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Michel Sidibé, UNAIDS Executive Director

Read more

  • French Jews mourn French-Israeli soldier killed in Gaza

    Read more

  • Video: Lebanon fears fallout from regional turmoil

    Read more

  • Australian veteran Rogers claims 16th stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • Five children among six killed in minibus crash in central France

    Read more

  • Israel identifies ‘missing’ soldier in Gaza

    Read more

  • Hollande says French warship delivery will ‘depend on Russia’s attitude’

    Read more

  • Colombia's Rodriguez signs '€80m' contract with Real Madrid

    Read more

  • Ukraine rebels release bodies, black boxes from flight MH17

    Read more

  • A call for harmony in riot-hit ‘Little Jerusalem’ Paris suburb

    Read more

  • Widodo wins Indonesian presidential election

    Read more

  • An ‘explosion of violence’: French press reacts to Gaza protests

    Read more

  • Notorious ‘VIP’ prison in Paris closed for renovations

    Read more

  • Christians in Iraq's Mosul face execution or exodus

    Read more

  • Scores killed as Libyan militias fight over airport

    Read more

  • Ukraine football players refuse to return home after friendly in France

    Read more

  • China steps up communist education to guard against ‘moral decline’

    Read more

Boonen and Quick Step to contest Tour ban

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-06-19

Tom Boonen and his team have decided to contest a decision by Tour de France organisers to ban the Belgian cyclist from this year's race after he twice tested positive for cocaine.

AFP - Ace Belgian sprinter Tom Boonen and his Quick Step team are to contest his ban from the Tour de France by the race organisers ASO (Amaury Sport Organisation) they announced on Friday.
  
The 28-year-old three-time Paris-Roubaix winner had been barred by ASO on Thursday after testing positive for cocaine for the second time in a year in April - they stated that they did not believe that his image suited what they envisaged for the great race.
  
However, Quick Step issued a statement on Friday where they said that they would pursue all legal channels to contest this decision and believed that they had been helped by a statement also released on Thursday by the sport's governing body the International Cycling Union (UCI).
  
In it the UCI said they would not be taking punitive action over six-time Tour de France stage winner and 2007 green jersey champion Boonen's positive test.
  
"The Quick Step team have decided to contest by all legal means the decision taken by ASO, which they believe are baseless," read the statement.
  
"This decision by ASO is even more astonishing, because yesterday (Thursday) afternoon, the UCI published a press release in which they officially announced that they had ruled out any disciplinary action against Tom," added team manager Patrick Lefevere.
  
One of the team's lawayers said that they were rapidly putting together their arguments.
  
"In view of the short time between now and the beginning of the Tour (July 4) urgency is of the utmost priority, and we are getting on with preparing our case," said the lawyer, Jean-Louis Dupont.
  
ASO, who have taken such steps before in banning the Astana team from competing last year because of drugs scandals in the race the previous year, had issued a statement on Thursday explaining their reason for the ban.
  
"In the wake of Tom Boonen's recent drug test, which followed a previous positive test in 2008, the Tour de France, having spoken to representatives from his Quick Step team, can only note that the image and the behaviour of Tom Boonen are incompatible with the image of the Tour de France and the image that such an exceptional champion should try to display," said ASO in a statement.
  
"In these circumstances and in order to preserve his reputation, his image and those of the Tour de France, the ASO group has decided not to accept the presence of Tom Boonen in its event."

Date created : 2009-06-19

COMMENT(S)