Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Seven African countries' economies at risk over Brexit decision

Read more

THE DEBATE

Britain votes out: What next?

Read more

#TECH 24

The 'fintech' revolution

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

A certified 'palace': How hotels strive for excellence

Read more

#THE 51%

In her own image: Women in Art

Read more

REPORTERS

World War I: When northern France was on German time

Read more

REVISITED

Video: Ugandan city still scarred by Lord's Resistance Army atrocities

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#Brexit sparks a storm on social media

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Markets, pound plunge on Brexit vote

Read more

Middle east

Government claims it expelled 20 suspected French Islamists

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-07-05

An Egyptian security official said on Saturday that the country had expelled about 20 French Muslims over the last month who were believed to be connected with an attack on Cairo's Kah al-Khalili bazaar in February.

AFP - Egypt has expelled about 20 suspected French Islamists over the past month, an Egyptian security official told AFP on Saturday.
  
"About 20 French Muslims detained in the investigation into the Cairo attack in February that cost the life of a French girl have been expelled, little by little," the official said, declining to be named.
  
He said that no charges were filed against the French nationals but they were considered religious extremists and undesirable in Egypt.
  
A French consular official told AFP "a certain number of French nationals were detained along with other foreigners" after the attack and "asked to leave Egypt at their own expense and without any legal case" against them.
  
A French teenager was killed on February 22 in a bomb attack in Cairo's  famed Khan al-Khalili bazaar, in the first deadly violence against Westerners in Egypt since 2006.
  

Date created : 2009-07-04

COMMENT(S)