Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FASHION

Paris, Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2014-2015.

Read more

REPORTERS

Exclusive: an unlikely victim of the 'War on Terror'

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

2014-07-11 21:47 AFRICA NEWS

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Finally, a good use for new app "Yo"

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 11 July 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 11 July 2014

Read more

#THE 51%

Sweden: A Feminist's Paradise?

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Politics: parties under pressure

Read more

FOCUS

In Burma, the rise of radical Buddhism

Read more

  • Israeli special forces attack Hamas base inside Gaza Strip

    Read more

  • Holland beat hosts Brazil 3-0 to finish third in World Cup

    Read more

  • Afghan presidential candidates agree to full vote audit, Kerry says

    Read more

  • France’s Kadri wins eighth stage at Tour de France

    Read more

  • Legal challenge to French mayor’s ban of Muslim hijab on beach

    Read more

  • Last of the Ramones, Tommy Ramone, dies aged 62

    Read more

  • Video: Outrage in wake of deadly Casablanca buildings collapse

    Read more

  • Iraqi forces ‘executed prisoners in reprisal’ for ISIS killings

    Read more

  • Ukraine promises retaliation after rebel assault

    Read more

  • Putin revives old Cuban flame and eyes Latin American minerals

    Read more

  • Amazon snubs French free delivery ban with one-cent charge

    Read more

  • Cleveland's NBA fans hail 'return of king' LeBron James

    Read more

  • Exclusive: an unlikely victim of the 'War on Terror'

    Read more

  • Magnitude 6.8 quake, small tsunami hit east Japan

    Read more

  • Suspect in Brussels Jewish Museum shooting drops extradition appeal

    Read more

Africa

Congo prepares for elections as opposition urges boycott

©

Video by Arnaud ZAJTMAN , Marlène RABAUD , Rachel MARUSAK

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-07-16

Congo-Brazzaville prepared for Sunday's presidential elections, despite opposition members - including the main challenger of President Denis Sassou Nguesso - calling for a boycott of the vote on Friday.

AFP - Six candidates in Congo's presidential elections, including President Denis Sassou Nguesso's main challenger, on Friday called for a boycott of the vote.
  
"Don't go voting, stay at home," Mathias Dzon, Nguesso's principal rival and a former finance minister, said at an opposition rally of about 2,000 people.
  
"What will happen Sunday is null and void," he added, with Nguesso opponents Guy Romain Kinfoussia, Clement Mierassa and independent runner Bonaventure Mizidy Bavoueza by his side.
  
Kinfoussia later told an AFP correspondent that two other independent challengers, no-shows Jean Francois Tchibinda Kouangou and Marion Matzimba Ehouango, supported the appeal.
  
"None of us (six) will vote. We'll stay at home," said Kinfoussia, adding that they would not abandon the electoral process to be able to challenge the outcome.
  
"For us, the election is not taking place on July 12 ... It will take place on the day the Congolese people are given a real choice," Dzon said, also speaking for his allies.
  
The six earlier Friday called for the election to be postponed, saying electoral lists included deceased and fictitious voters, minors and foreigners.
  
The African Union is to send about 30 observers to monitor Sunday's presidential elections.
  
The first round of the election will see 12 candidates seeking to unseat Nguesso, who led the Congo between 1979 and 1992, before returning to power in 1997 after a civil war.
  
In 2002, he was elected in a vote that fell short of democratic standards, international observers found.
  
The opposition contends that the Commission for the Organisation of the Elections (CONEL) is biased. The opposition cried foul in the last elections organised by the CONEL.
  
AU observers also denounced irregularities and fraud.
  
Last month, a delegation of members of the European Parliament visited Brazzaville, but Patrick Gaubert, vice chairman of the EU assembly's human rights subcommittee, said on June 21 that the EU would send no observers on Sunday.
  
The executive European Commission "told us that this election is not a priority", he added.

Date created : 2009-07-11

Comments

COMMENT(S)