Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

"Why Are So Many Children Dying in Gaza?"

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Central African Republic: Seleka calls for partition

Read more

DEBATE

Nigeria: One Hundred Days and Counting (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Nigeria: One Hundred Days and Counting

Read more

FOCUS

Can Chancellor Merkel's winning streak last?

Read more

FOCUS

Hunger in a fertile land...

Read more

ENCORE!

High-tech acting king Andy Serkis on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Read more

REPORTERS

Hong Kong in rebellion against the 'motherland'

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Dalia Grybauskaite, President of the Republic of Lithuania

Read more

  • Israel faces heightened diplomatic pressure as Gaza bloodshed deepens

    Read more

  • In pictures: Thousands march for Gaza peace in Paris

    Read more

  • Bomb attacks leave scores dead in north Nigeria

    Read more

  • Remains of Flight MH17 victims arrive in the Netherlands

    Read more

  • Ryanair ordered to pay back €9.6m in illegal state aid to France

    Read more

  • Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down over rebel-held territory

    Read more

  • Gaza protests: ‘France imported the Mideast conflict a long time ago’

    Read more

  • Video: Fear, death and mourning in Gaza’s Khan Younis

    Read more

  • TransAsia Airways Taiwan crash leaves dozens dead

    Read more

  • Poland’s Rafal Majka wins 17th stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • Young riders raise French hopes for Tour de France

    Read more

  • Defying UK, France to proceed with warships sale to Russia

    Read more

  • US courts issue conflicting reports on Obamacare

    Read more

  • Video: Lebanon fears fallout from regional turmoil

    Read more

Nadal plans return at next month's Montreal Masters

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-07-14

Rafael Nadal is planning to make his comeback at the Montreal Masters in August to defend his title. The 23-year-old Spaniard has not played since May after suffering from tendinitis in both knees, losing his number one world ranking as a result.

REUTERS - World number two Rafael Nadal plans to resume training on Monday and return to action at next month's Montreal Masters as he recovers from tendinitis in his knees, according to a statement on his website on Tuesday.

"Rafa Nadal underwent some new medical tests today in Barcelona," the statement said (www.rafaelnadal.com).

"He is slowly recovering from his injury, will resume practice next Monday and will reappear at the Montreal event on August 8th," it added.

The Spaniard has been suffering from tendinitis in both knees aggravated by a gruelling schedule of clay court matches and was forced to abandon the defence of his Wimbledon title before the grand slam tournament started.

Roger Federer of Switzerland won his sixth Wimbledon crown and regained the number one ranking from Nadal having already stolen his great rival's French Open title.

Nadal, champion in Montreal last year, won three out of the five clay tournaments he contested in April and May, playing 22 matches, and has blamed his injury woes on the congested calendar.

He returned to his home in Manacor on the island of Mallorca on Tuesday and said he was happy with the results of the tests.

"I am very much looking forward to starting training again and a return to what I like doing best which is playing tennis," he said on his website.

"Until (Montreal) I need to continue with my recuperation and train to get in shape."

Date created : 2009-07-14

COMMENT(S)