Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

'Valls is starting to act like Hollande'

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Inger Andersen, Vice President for the Middle East and North Africa, The World Bank

Read more

WEB NEWS

Wikileaks releases 'weaponized malware' customer list

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Salmond's 'emotional eve-of poll plea to Scots to seize their historic opportunity'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Ukraine politician thrown on rubbish heap

Read more

DEBATE

Hollande on his own? Socialist backbenchers abstain on confidence vote (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Hollande on his own? Socialist backbenchers abstain on confidence vote

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Patrick Chauvel, French war photographer

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Scottish fishing industry divided over independence

Read more

Felipe Massa to be moved out of intensive care

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-08-03

The personal doctor of Felipe Massa has said that the driver is up and moving around and should be ready to leave intensive care soon. The Ferrari driver was involved in a serious accident during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

AFP - Injured Brazilian Grand Prix driver Felipe Massa should not suffer any long-term effects from his crash and can now move around his bed, his private doctor Dino Altman said here on Wednesday.
  
"He doesn't seem to have a long-term injury," Altman told journalists in front of Budapest's AEK hospital, where Massa was brought after his accident on Saturday.
  
"He stood up today and was walking around his bed," he added.
  
"Felipe's brain condition is improving and there is nothing to worry about."
  
Altman ruled out any eye injuries as well as a gallbladder inflammation that was reported by a hospital doctor earlier in the day.
  
He added that Massa would be moved out of the intensive care unit on Wednesday.
  
It was still unclear however when the Brazilian would be discharged from hospital, although "it might be in less than ten days."
  
"Leaving the hospital is not an issue now. We are waiting to see how he improves," Altman said, adding that whether he would be transported to Brazil or to France was unclear.
  
According to his father however Massa is due to be moved on Thursday to the same hospital in Paris which treated former three-time world footballer of the year Ronaldo's knee injury last year.
  
"If he continues (to recover) at this pace he'll be switched to a hospital in Paris where he will follow his recovery up to the time he can go home," Titonia Massa said from Budapest in comments carried by Brazilian newspaper O Globo.
  
"We don't know yet whether he'll be going to Monaco or Sao Paulo," added Massa's father about his son's destination after being released from hospital.
  
Altman said the driver remembered his two completed laps as well as the moments before the accident, and was asking who had won the race on Sunday.
  
Massa exclaimed "I can't believe it! It was my race," when he learned the winner had been Lewis Hamilton, the doctor said.
  
"He was hungry and was complaining about food," Altman added.
  
Massa suffered severe injuries when he was struck at around 275 kph by a spring that flew off compatriot Rubens Barrichello's Brawn car during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix on Saturday.
  
The 28-year-old driver underwent surgery for skull damage immediately.
  
For the last four days, he has been in intensive care unit, with his wife staying in an adjacent room.

Date created : 2009-07-29

COMMENT(S)