AFP - Spain went on maximum alert Friday as ETA marked its 50th anniversary after two bombings this week blamed on the Basque separatist group, including an attack that killed two police officers.
Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero and other political leaders paid their respects to the officers slain in Thursday's attack in Majorca as they attended a funeral service in the southern island, pinning the blame on ETA.
The approach to the anniversary has seen an upsurge in violence, with a massive car bomb exploding outside a police barracks in Burgos in northern Spain on Wednesday which lightly injured 64 people.
Police also found a second bomb in Majorca on Thursday under another police car at a separate nearby barracks and carried out a controlled explosion.
Zapatero blamed the attacks "on the terrorist group ETA" and vowed to bring all members of the outfit to justice.
"I want to assure citizens that the government has instructed security forces to be on maximum alert, that they redouble their dedication, that they boost even more their efforts and also that they protect themselves from these vile assassins," he said Thursday night.
"They have no chance to hide, they can't flee, they can't escape justice, they will be detained, they will be sentenced, they will spend their lives in jail," he added.
Police have suspected two suspects who are believed to be behind the bombing in Majorca and will shortly release pictures of the duo, public television TVE reported.
The interior ministry released Friday the photos of six wanted suspected members of ETA without specifying if they are believed to have played a role in the bombings in Burgos and Majorca.
Zapatero attended a memorial service at Palma's main cathedral on Friday for the two civil guards along with Crown Prince Felipe and his wife Letizia, and Interior Minister Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba, who was jeered as he arrived at the services by some members of the public.
The authorities closed all ports and airport on Majorca, a popular holiday destination, for several hours after the bomb detonated as part of their manhunt, disrupting travel plans for thousands of tourists during the peak holiday season.
Ports on the island were operating normally on Friday but boat traffic was facing tighter controls than usual, a spokesman for the port authority on the Balearic Islands said.
"Boats cannot enter or leave the island without the authorization of the civil guard. There are only slight delays affecting passengers due to search operations," he said.
ETA was formed on July 31, 1959 by a group of left-wing nationalist students opposed to General Francisco Franco's right-wing dictatorship, which suppressed the Basque language.
It is blamed for the deaths of 828 people in its campaign for an independent Basque homeland encompassing parts of northern Spain and southwest France.
About 95 percent of its victims have been killed since Franco died in 1975 and Spain returned to Europe's democratic fold after four decades of isolation.
The group's deadliest attack took place in July, 1987 when a car bomb left in the parking lot of a Barcelona supermarket killed 21 people and injured 45 others.
Spanish public television last month said a new "road map" of strategic plans by ETA reaffirmed its commitment to violence to achieve its aims.
"The terrorists believe that Basque independence is their irreversible goal. Only then will ETA no longer kill," TVE said, quoting a document that it said outlined the group's strategy put together over the past three years.