Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FASHION

Fashion, what's happened in 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

France: 2014 in review

Read more

#THE 51%

South Africa: Taking a stand against child marriage

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book (part 2)

Read more

REPORTERS

France 24’s best documentaries of 2014

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'We have to build a new Tunisia', says the president of the Tunisian Parliament

Read more

FACE-OFF

France on alert after attacks: a case of collective hysteria?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'Beijing needs to revaluate its policy in the Tibetan areas', says FM of the Tibetan government-in-exile

Read more

Europe

Karadzic wants compensation for 'kidnapping'

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-08-05

Former Bosnian Serb leader and war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic has called for financial compensation after claiming he was "kidnapped" by Serbian authorities and held incommunicado for three days before his official date of arrest.

AFP - Bosnian Serb war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic on Wednesday demanded financial compensation for being "kidnapped" as Serbian authorities had held him incommunicado after he was detained.
  
"The Serbian authorities falsely announced that he had been arrested on 21 July 2008," a document submitted to the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia claimed.
  
"They took him to a judge for the first time on 22 July. However, he was in fact arrested on 18 July."
  
"The Trial Chamber is respectfully requested to (1) find that Dr. Karadzic's rights to liberty, to be informed of the reasons for his arrest, and to be taken promptly before a judicial officer, were violated during his arrest, and to hold an evidentiary hearing if necessary; and (2) order that an appropriate remedy, namely financial compensation in the event of an acquittal or reduction in sentence, in the event of a conviction, be fixed by the Trial Chamber as part of the final judgement in this case."
  
"Dr. Karadzic was taken from the bus by men who did not identify themselves.
  
"He was transported to a location where he was held incommunicado for three days. During that time, he was never advised of the reason for his arrest, the identity of his captors, or brought before a judicial officer.
  
"He was refused access to a telephone to inform anyone that he had been arrested."
  
"He was simply abducted," the document added.
  
Karadzic, 64, is to go on trial for warcrimes, genocide and crimes against humanity from September for his part in the 1992-95 war in the former Yugoslav republic of Bosnia.
  
He faces 11 charges related mainly to his role in the 44-month siege of Sarajevo that left 10,000 people dead, and the July 1995 massacre of around 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica.
  
He had been on the run for 13 years before his arrest on a suburban bus disguised as a heavily-bearded alternative medicine healer.

Date created : 2009-08-05

COMMENT(S)