Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ACROSS AFRICA

South Sudan's refugee crisis has reached catastrophic proportions, the UN warns

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'Last Night in Sweden'? Trump's comment causes confusion

Read more

THE DEBATE

Mosul Offensive: New phase in battle for Iraq's second city (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Mosul Offensive: New phase in battle for Iraq's second city (part 2)

Read more

ENCORE!

Kiwi indie heroes The Naked and Famous reflect on life after 'Young Blood'

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

France's election: 'The Russians are doing what they can to bring down Macron'

Read more

FOCUS

North Dakota: Sioux tribe stands firm against pipeline project

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Georgian foreign minister discusses ties with EU, NATO

Read more

Asia-pacific

Islamabad asks Interpol to track down Mumbai suspects

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-08-06

Pakistani authorities asked Interpol to issue a global alert for thirteen people suspected of taking part in the deadly terror attacks on Mumbai in November 2008 in a show of commitment to tracking down the suspects.

AFP - Pakistan has asked Interpol to issue a global alert for 13 suspects wanted for the attacks in Mumbai of November 2008, the international police agency said Thursday.

The alert asks member countries to help locate the fugitives and notify Pakistani authorities who will then issue arrest warrants and seek their extradition, an Interpol statement said.

"The authorities in Pakistan are to be commended for making full use of Interpol's global network and tools," said secretary general Ron Noble in the statement issued from the agency's headquarters in Lyon.

"This demonstrates their commitment to allowing all of Interpol's 187 member-countries to benefit from and help with the investigation into the Mumbai terrorist attacks," he said.

The 13 suspects were not named in the media statement, but Interpol said their names and other information would be included in the police agency's databases and circulated worldwide.

A total of 166 people died and more than 300 were injured in the November 26-29 attacks, which saw 10 heavily-armed gunmen target luxury hotels, the Indian city's main railway station, a popular restaurant and a Jewish centre.

India has blamed the attacks on the banned Pakistani militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).

Pakistan has arrested five people suspected of involvement in the assault, including the alleged mastermind, Zakiduddin Lakhvi. Their trial is expected to begin on August 29.

"Pakistan's actions in this case will help set new international standards for terrorism investigations," said Noble.

Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani pledged earlier this month to do everything in his power to bring those behind the attack to justice following a meeting with his Indian counterpart in Egypt.
 

Date created : 2009-08-06

COMMENT(S)