Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

Cannes 2017: Al Gore 'The modern climate movement was launched here'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Manchester, United

Read more

ENCORE!

TV series 'Top of the Lake: China Girl' screened at Cannes

Read more

FOCUS

A lifeline for women facing domestic violence in Pakistan

Read more

ACCESS ASIA

Afghanistan's new TV channel by and for women

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Former minister accused of role in murder of two UN investigators in DR Congo

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Murder in Manchester': Press reacts to Arena terror attack

Read more

ENCORE!

Cannes 2017: Naomi Campbell hosts 'Fashion For Relief'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Trump's visit to Israel in key images

Read more

Africa

Two aid workers 'missing' after armed attack

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-08-06

Aid group Médecins Sans Frontières says two of its workers have gone missing after an armed attack on a compound in eastern Chad, near the border with Sudan's troubled Darfur region. Chadian officials have yet to confirm the incident.

REUTERS - Aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said two of its workers in Chad were missing on Thursday after a robbery at its compound by the border with Sudan’s Darfur region.

 

MSF’s Dutch arm said it could not account for the whereabouts of one international and one local worker after the attack by unknown assailants on Wednesday, which follows a spate of kidnappings in the Darfur region this year.

 

“We have no knowledge of their whereabouts,” MSF spokeswoman Rolinda Montsma said.

 

“We have contacted our staff and the family of those involved and are working with local authorities,” she said, adding that she could not provide any further details about the workers’ identity, nor where the incident took place.

 

A Chad government spokesman could not confirm the incident. A local source in Chad said the attack on the compound took place in the town of Ade on Chad’s eastern border with Sudan.

 

Kidnappers of two workers for Irish aid group GOAL in Darfur last month demanded $2 million for their release but the government has said it is determined not to pay. Two other groups of aid workers kidnapped in the region earlier this year have been released unharmed after negotiations.
 

Date created : 2009-08-06

COMMENT(S)