Don't miss




Fans and players react online to Arsene Wegner's club departure

Read more


Syria alleged chemical attack: Gunfire delays deployment of weapons inspectors

Read more


Cashing in on local French currencies

Read more


Life on the canals of northern France

Read more


What lies ahead for Cuba after the Castros?

Read more

#TECH 24

Discovering and harnessing the power of the sun

Read more


Can France bid 'adieu' to popular weedkiller glyphosate?

Read more

#THE 51%

Harmful for your health: When gender bias affects medical diagnosis

Read more


Africa’s donkeys slaughtered for Chinese ‘miracle elixir’

Read more

South Africa defeats Australia 29-17


Latest update : 2009-08-08

South Africa beat Australia 29-17 (halftime 23-10) in their Tri-Nations match at Newlands, Cape Town. The boot of flyhalf Morne Steyn (24 points) once again carried South Africa to victory.

Reuters - The boot of flyhalf Morne Steyn
once again carried South Africa to victory as they beat
Australia 29-17 in their Tri-Nations test at Newlands in Cape
Town on Saturday.

Steyn kept the scoreboard ticking over for the Springboks
with seven penalties and a drop goal, having scored a
Tri-Nations record 31 points last weekend in the win over New

Australia scored first through fullback Adam Ashley-Cooper
in the second minute, but South Africa dominated the second
quarter to lead 23-10 at the break.

The Wallabies got the only try of the second half, a fine
individual effort by flyhalf Matt Giteau but they suffered
through indiscipline.

Apart from the numerous penalties Australia conceded,
referee Alain Rolland showed the yellow card to Giteau and flank
Richard Brown in the closing stages of the first half.

Loose forward George Smith was also yellow-carded, in the
79th minute, with the Australians desperately defending their

Lock Victor Matfield scored South Africa's only try after a
neat grubber through by tighthead prop John Smit.

The Springboks, who beat New Zealand 31-19 in Durban last
Saturday and  28-19 in Bloemfontein the previous weekend, have
completed an unbeaten home leg of the Tri-Nations ahead of
matches in Perth, Brisbane and Hamilton.


Australia tore into the Springboks at the start, winning a
breakdown penalty which was kicked to touch. From the lineout,
they spread the ball wide and Ashley-Cooper was able to evade
the cover defence to score just inside the corner flag.

Giteau was on target with the conversion.

South Africa were on the scoreboard in the eighth minute as
Steyn kicked a penalty and he soon followed up with two more as
the Boks took a 9-7 lead.

Berrick Barnes then kicked over a drop goal for Australia
but the 10-9 lead was short lived as they were penalised for
killing the ball at a ruck and Steyn succeeded with a long-range

Springbok openside flank Heinrich Brussow then tore the ball
off Australia captain Stirling Mortlock to turn over possession
and create the space for Steyn to slot a drop goal.

The boot of captain Smit was the unlikely source of South
Africa's only try as his brilliant grubber went behind the
Australian backline. Wing Lachlan Turner retreated but knocked
on the bouncing ball, allowing Matfield to pounce and dive over
the line.

South Africa led 20-10 and were in an ideal position to land
the knockout blow when Giteau was sin-binned for crashing into
Fourie du Preez off the ball with his forearm. Brown followed
him off the field a minute later for offsides at a ruck.

Surprisingly, the Springboks just had a Steyn penalty to
show for the 10 minutes Australia spent with 13 men either side
of halftime.

The second half lacked the incident of the first 40 minutes,
with Steyn picking up two more penalties.

Australia gave themselves a glimmer of hope when Giteau
scored a sizzling individual try, cutting back inside after a
scrum under the poles and jinking through to reach over and
score in replacement flank Danie Rossouw's tackle.

Date created : 2009-08-08