Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

France's Plan to Tackle Racism

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Marine Le Pen and Thomas Piketty in Time magazine's power list; EU takes on Google; Gunter Grass dies (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deadly Crossing: Migrants desperate to reach Europe; Abadi in Washington (part 1)

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Xenophobic attacks in South Africa: anti-violence marches and anti immigration protest

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

French PM outlines action plan against racism, anti-Semitism

Read more

REPORTERS

Turkey’s hidden Armenians search for stolen identity

Read more

REVISITED

Families of slain Marikana miners still demanding justice

Read more

#TECH 24

Europe vs. Google: EU accuses search giant of market dominance abuse

Read more

#THE 51%

Women in America: Land of the free, home to the less-paid

Read more

Asia-pacific

Slain militant is not terror suspect Noordin, say police

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-08-12

Indonesian police have admitted that a militant killed in a police raid at the weekend was not Malaysian terror suspect Noordin Mohammed Top. One of Asia's most wanted terror suspects, Noordin has been blamed for attacks in Indonesia since 2003.

AFP - Indonesian police Wednesday said DNA tests showed that a militant killed in a police raid at the weekend was not Malaysian terror suspect Noordin Mohammed Top.
  
The man killed at the end of a 17-hour siege at a remote farmhouse in Central Java on Saturday was identified as Ibrohim, who was wanted over the July 17 hotel bombings in Jakarta, police spokesman Nanan Soekarna said.
  
"The dead body is Ibrohim.... We tried to match the DNA with the sample from Johor (Noordin's son) and it didn't match," Soekarna told a press conference.
  
Noordin is one of Asia's most wanted terror suspects blamed for a series of attacks in Indonesia since 2003, including the twin suicide blasts at the JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels last month.
  
Ibrohim was a florist who worked at the hotels and helped prepare the almost simultaneous attacks, which killed nine people including six foreigners and the two suicide bombers, Soekarna said.
  
Police released new security camera footage showing a man identified as Ibrohim escorting the alleged Marriott bomber around the hotel on July 8, and later bringing bomb-making material into the hotel's staff-only loading bay.
  
"Ibrohim was a planner who was always present in the meetings with Noordin M. Top," Soekarna said.
  
"According to our information he was going to be a suicide bomber against Cikeas," the home of Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono outside Jakarta.
  
Police had received a tip-off that Malaysian extremist Noordin was in the farmhouse and launched one of the biggest ever raids by US-trained counter-terror police in a bid to catch the country's most wanted fugitive.
  
Local and international media reported he had been killed in a hail of gunfire and explosions at the end of the overnight siege, raising hopes that the six-year manhunt had come to an end.

Date created : 2009-08-12

COMMENT(S)