Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FOCUS

Italy's rural south welcomes asylum seekers with open arms

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

French presidential election: ‘Valls's Moment’

Read more

ENCORE!

Music Show: Electro star Agoria stays 'Up All Night'

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Ukraine’s ex-prime minister: ‘We need reforms’

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Italy's referendum: ‘Confronted with a wave of 'NO' votes, Renzi resigns’

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Extremist populist parties: What's the reason behind their rise?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Gambians herald 'new independence' after Jammeh defeat

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Trump keeps 'em guessing, Italian referendum, Austrian election, Castro's passing (part 2)

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

Discovering France's breathtaking Vosges mountains

Read more

Asia-pacific

Karoubi's newspaper in temporary ban

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-08-17

An Iranian prosecution officer has "temporarily" closed down the newspaper of reformist candidate Medhi Karoubi, the latter's website has announced. The move follows Karoubi's public claim that protesters had been "savagely raped" in jail.

REUTERS - Iranian authorities have temporarily closed down the newspaper of Mehdi Karoubi, a leading reformist opponent of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the website of his party said on Monday.
 

Etemad-e Melli was shut down late on Sunday on the orders of the Tehran prosecutor's office, the party website said. The party's name is also Etemad-e Melli (National Trust). The newspaper was not published on Monday.

 

Karoubi came fourth in the disputed June 12 presidential election. He and the moderate runner-up, Mirhossein Mousavi, say the vote was rigged to secure Ahmadinejad's re-election. The authorities deny the charge.
 

Karoubi, a cleric, earlier this month angered many hardliners by saying that some people held in connection with post-election unrest had been "savagely raped" in jail. His allegation was rejected by the authorities as "baseless".

 

The party website quoted Karoubi's son Hossein as saying, "Last night a representative of the prosecutor's office came to the Etemad-e Melli printing house and announced the temporary shutdown of the daily."

 

There was no immediate comment from the judiciary.

Date created : 2009-08-17

COMMENT(S)