Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

'No weddings, no funerals in North Korea so Kim Jong-un can party'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Cash crisis brews in Zimbabwe

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Hollande, the lucky president

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

South African demonstrators set 17 schools ablaze in Limpopo

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Photo of woman standing up to neo-Nazis goes viral

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Polls show Sanders would beat Trump by 'at least 14%'

Read more

THE DEBATE

UK local elections: Sadiq Khan, Zac Goldsmith face off in battle for London (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

UK local elections: Sadiq Khan, Zac Goldsmith face off in battle for London (part 2)

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Helen Clark: 'I’m the best person for the job of UN Secretary-General'

Read more

France

New Caledonia swine flu death toll rises to five

Video by Nicolas GERMAIN

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-08-24

The swine flu death toll in the French territory of New Caledonia has risen to five after the death of a 46-year-old woman and a 30-year-old man, officials have said. Neither had pre-existing conditions putting them at a greater risk from the virus.

AFP - The death toll from swine flu in New Caledonia has risen to five following the death of a 46-year-old woman and a 30-year-old man, health officials in the French Pacific territory said Monday.
  
Both succumbed to pneumonia brought on by A(H1N1) influenza, but neither had pre-existing health conditions that put them at greater risk from the virus, the territory's health department said.
  
The territory, which sits 1,500 kilometres (930 miles) east of Australia, the worst-hit nation in the Asia-Pacific region and is connected to its neighbour by daily flights, recorded its first swine flu death only last week.
  
Authorities said last week that as many 20,000 people had "potentially" been infected with swine flu -- some eight percent of the population of the territory, which is currently in the midst of its winter flu season.
  
Philippe Dunoyer, a government official responsible for health, said there were currently no plans to step up measures to contain the spread of the virus.

Date created : 2009-08-24

COMMENT(S)