Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Catalan referendum debacle

Read more

THE DEBATE

Confiscated vote? Escalation over banned Catalonia referendum

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

Brexit and the city: Paris, Frankfurt, Dublin vying for new business

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai: 'I asked Macron to invest $300m in girls' education'

Read more

FRENCH CONNECTIONS

Is the French Senate a retirement club for old politicians?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Burma should give access to investigators, says UN rights chief

Read more

FOCUS

Rohingya crisis: Monks with an ultranationalist agenda

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Mexico hit by another deadly earthquake

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US Federal Reserve ends historic QE program

Read more

Asia-pacific

Xinjiang riot trials set to start this week

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-08-24

China is set to begin trials over last month's riots in the Xinjiang region, with hundreds facing murder and arson charges, the China Daily has reported. The trials could again raise tensions in Xinjiang between Muslim Uighurs and Han Chinese.

REUTERS - China is likely to begin trials this week over deadly riots in the restive far-west region of Xinjiang last month, with hundreds facing murder, arson and other charges, the official China Daily said on Monday.


The trials could again raise tensions in Xinjiang, where many Muslim Uighurs resent the growing presence of Han Chinese and government controls on religious and cultural life.


More than 200 people have been formally arrested in connection with ethnic rioting on July 5 and “trials are expected to start this week”, the China Daily reported, citing an unnamed prosecutor in Urumqi, the regional capital of Xinjiang where the violence erupted.


The Urumqi court did not respond to a phone call from Reuters.


Earlier this month, authorities said 83 people had been formally arrested for the rioting, which left at least 197 people dead after Muslim Uighurs attacked mostly Han Chinese.


Han Chinese in Urumqi launched counter-protests and revenge attacks two days after the bloodshed.


“A drastic increase in security is expected in the whole city (of Urumqi) in response to an expected mass gathering of Han and Uygur (Uighur) people awaiting the court verdicts,” the report said, citing an unnamed police source.


The suspects face charges including murder, arson, robbery, vandalism and “organising crowds to disrupt public order,” said the report. It did not specify how many may be tried this week.


The government could also use the trials to press its claim that exiled Uighur activist Rebiya Kadeer instigated the rioting, a claim that she has repeatedly denied.


The Urumqi riot marked Xinjiang’s worst ethnic turmoil in decades and followed Uighur protests in Urumqi over the killings of two Uighurs in ethnic strife at a factory in southern China.


Many Uighurs believed dozens or even hundreds of Uighurs were killed in that factory unrest.


Uighur independence advocates say that China, which is preparing to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic on Oct. 1, is deliberately drawing Han Chinese into the region to stifle Uighur influence.


Uighurs, once a sizeable majority in Xinjiang, now make up 46 percent of its 21.3 million people, according to government statistics.


Beijing says the region is historically part of China and it will not make any concessions on control over Xinjiang, which has oil reserves and is the country’s biggest natural gas-producing region.
 

Date created : 2009-08-24

COMMENT(S)