Don't miss




Populist takeover: Italy approves unprecedented coalition

Read more


Young Nicaraguans lead protests against President Ortega

Read more


Music show: Opera singer Lawrence Brownlee, Snow Patrol & Natalie Prass

Read more


EU Commissioner Johannes Hahn: 'Either we import stability, or we export instability'

Read more


From Italy to Cyprus via Hungary: A look back at key events in Europe

Read more


US-China trade war is 'on hold'

Read more

#TECH 24

Is GDPR a good thing for EU tech companies?

Read more


'The internet is like water, we need to help children understand how to swim'

Read more


Horse massacres in Iran, fake news turning deadly in India, and Ivory Coast's drought

Read more

Middle east

Iraq claims Baghdad ministry bombers 'recently freed by US'


Latest update : 2009-08-30

The bombers who killed 95 people and wounded 600 others in devastating attacks in and around Baghdad's Green Zone on August 19 have been released from US custody, according to a senior Iraqi interior ministry official.

AFP - The suicide bombers who killed 95 people in devastating attacks at Iraqi government ministries on August 19 were recently released from US custody, a senior interior ministry official said on Sunday.
The truck bombings in Baghdad also wounded 600 people in what was the worst day of violence to hit the country for 18 months, dealing a major blow to the nation's security efforts in the wake of a major pullout of US troops.
"The suicide bomber who blew himself up at the ministry of foreign affairs was released three months ago from Camp Bucca," the official told AFP on condition of anonymity, referring to the US jail near Basra.
"The suicide bomber who blew himself up outside the ministry of finance was also released a few months ago from the same jail."
Since the start of this year 4,000 Iraqi prisoners have been freed by the Americans and handed over to Iraqi officials, who then take the decision on whether they stay in prison.
About 11,000 prisoners were still in US custody, according to figures released in June.
"We have no proof that a former detainee was involved in the bombings," a US army spokesman said on Sunday.
"The government of Iraq is still investigating the attacks, and it would be inappropriate for us to speculate as to who may have been involved while the investigation is ongoing."
The interior ministry official, however, told AFP that 14 suspects had been arrested in the wake of the attacks and that the truck bombs were prepared in southern Baghdad.
"The vast majority of them were released in recent months from Camp Bucca," he said, noting that all of the suspects were from Nineveh and Salaheddin provinces.
"Each of them had a precise role. One was responsible for buying the trucks. One was in charge of making sure they could enter Baghdad. One made sure that the explosives were packed on the trucks and others were the suicide bombers."
The official said interrogations of the suspects had uncovered that a third truck found in Baghdad on the same day as the other attacks did not explode because it broke down before reaching its target.
"Until now, we cannot establish if the suspects have any links with foreign countries," the official added.
The disclosures contradict an official version of events which last Sunday saw the government parade a former police chief who they said orchestrated the finance ministry bombing.
Wissam Ali Kadhem Ibrahim admitted on video to plotting that attack.
"I received a call a month ago from my boss in the (Baath) party Sattam Farhan in Syria to do an operation to destabilise the regime," Ibrahim said, alluding to executed dictator Saddam Hussein's now outlawed political movement.
The 57-year-old suspect said the truck bomb was prepared in Khalis, 80 kilometres (50 miles) northeast of Baghdad, and that he had called a contact in the nearby town of Muqdadiyah to ensure its safe passage to the capital.
Ibrahim, who said he was a chief of police in Diyala until 1995 under Saddam's rule, said he had worked as a lawyer until 2002 but then became a leading Baathist official in the restive province northeast of Baghdad.
Major-General Qassim Atta, Baghdad spokesman for the Iraqi army, told reporters that Ibrahim was the main person responsible for the attack at the ministry of finance.
The second truck bombing occurred just minutes later at the foreign ministry.
Relations between Iraq and Syria deteriorated markedly after the video footage of Ibrahim was released, leading to a respective recalling of ambassadors.
Meanwhile a civilian was killed and eight other people were wounded in two separate attacks in Baghdad on Sunday, an interior ministry official said.

Date created : 2009-08-30