Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola: Liberian authorities admit 17 patients are missing

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'New York Post' slammed for publishing Foley execution images

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza: Back to Square One?

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza: Back to Square One? (part 2)

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Russia targets McDonald's over tensions with West

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza conflict: 72-hour ceasefire deal sets stage for Cairo talks

Read more

WEB NEWS

Web users divided over Darren Wilson

Read more

FOCUS

Spain's El Hierro to become world's first self-powered island

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

A bellwether for what not to do

Read more

  • US forces tried to rescue slain reporter from IS captors

    Read more

  • Israeli air strike kills three top Hamas commanders

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

  • Tensions high in Yemen as Shiite rebel deadline looms

    Read more

  • Thailand coup leader Prayuth Chan-ocha voted prime minister

    Read more

  • Deadly street battles hit Ukrainian rebel stronghold

    Read more

  • US attorney general visits Missouri town after fatal shooting

    Read more

  • French village rallies behind besieged elderly British couple

    Read more

  • Brazil’s Silva launches bid after Campos plane crash death

    Read more

  • Netanyahu compares Hamas to IS, Gaza offensive to continue

    Read more

  • Brutal IS beheading video sparks social media pushback

    Read more

  • France’s ex-PM Juppé sets up presidential clash with Sarkozy

    Read more

  • France’s Hollande says global security ‘worst since 2001’

    Read more

  • France urges Iran, others in region, to join fight against IS

    Read more

  • A new view on Normandy landings, 70 years on

    Read more

Middle east

Iraq claims Baghdad ministry bombers 'recently freed by US'

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-08-30

The bombers who killed 95 people and wounded 600 others in devastating attacks in and around Baghdad's Green Zone on August 19 have been released from US custody, according to a senior Iraqi interior ministry official.

AFP - The suicide bombers who killed 95 people in devastating attacks at Iraqi government ministries on August 19 were recently released from US custody, a senior interior ministry official said on Sunday.
   
The truck bombings in Baghdad also wounded 600 people in what was the worst day of violence to hit the country for 18 months, dealing a major blow to the nation's security efforts in the wake of a major pullout of US troops.
   
"The suicide bomber who blew himself up at the ministry of foreign affairs was released three months ago from Camp Bucca," the official told AFP on condition of anonymity, referring to the US jail near Basra.
   
"The suicide bomber who blew himself up outside the ministry of finance was also released a few months ago from the same jail."
   
Since the start of this year 4,000 Iraqi prisoners have been freed by the Americans and handed over to Iraqi officials, who then take the decision on whether they stay in prison.
   
About 11,000 prisoners were still in US custody, according to figures released in June.
   
"We have no proof that a former detainee was involved in the bombings," a US army spokesman said on Sunday.
   
"The government of Iraq is still investigating the attacks, and it would be inappropriate for us to speculate as to who may have been involved while the investigation is ongoing."
   
The interior ministry official, however, told AFP that 14 suspects had been arrested in the wake of the attacks and that the truck bombs were prepared in southern Baghdad.
   
"The vast majority of them were released in recent months from Camp Bucca," he said, noting that all of the suspects were from Nineveh and Salaheddin provinces.
   
"Each of them had a precise role. One was responsible for buying the trucks. One was in charge of making sure they could enter Baghdad. One made sure that the explosives were packed on the trucks and others were the suicide bombers."
   
The official said interrogations of the suspects had uncovered that a third truck found in Baghdad on the same day as the other attacks did not explode because it broke down before reaching its target.
   
"Until now, we cannot establish if the suspects have any links with foreign countries," the official added.
   
The disclosures contradict an official version of events which last Sunday saw the government parade a former police chief who they said orchestrated the finance ministry bombing.
   
Wissam Ali Kadhem Ibrahim admitted on video to plotting that attack.
   
"I received a call a month ago from my boss in the (Baath) party Sattam Farhan in Syria to do an operation to destabilise the regime," Ibrahim said, alluding to executed dictator Saddam Hussein's now outlawed political movement.
   
The 57-year-old suspect said the truck bomb was prepared in Khalis, 80 kilometres (50 miles) northeast of Baghdad, and that he had called a contact in the nearby town of Muqdadiyah to ensure its safe passage to the capital.
   
Ibrahim, who said he was a chief of police in Diyala until 1995 under Saddam's rule, said he had worked as a lawyer until 2002 but then became a leading Baathist official in the restive province northeast of Baghdad.
   
Major-General Qassim Atta, Baghdad spokesman for the Iraqi army, told reporters that Ibrahim was the main person responsible for the attack at the ministry of finance.
   
The second truck bombing occurred just minutes later at the foreign ministry.
   
Relations between Iraq and Syria deteriorated markedly after the video footage of Ibrahim was released, leading to a respective recalling of ambassadors.
   
Meanwhile a civilian was killed and eight other people were wounded in two separate attacks in Baghdad on Sunday, an interior ministry official said.
 

Date created : 2009-08-30

COMMENT(S)