The FIA's World Motor Sport Council has summoned Renault for an extraordinary hearing on September 21 in order to decide whether the constructor caused a deliberate crash in last year's Singapore Grand Prix to help driver Fernando Alonso win.
AFP - Renault were told on Friday they must appear before an extraordinary hearing of the FIA's World Motor Sport Council to answer charges that they caused a deliberate crash in last year's Singapore Grand Prix.
The meeting will take place here on September 21 when team officials will be asked to account for Nelson Piquet's crash in the night race, after suspicions were raised that the accident was intentional with the aim of helping team-mate Fernando Alonso win.
"Renault F1 have been requested to appear before an extraordinary meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Monday, 21 September 2009," said a statement released by the FIA.
"The team representatives have been called to answer charges... that the team conspired with its driver, Nelson Piquet Jr, to cause a deliberate crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix with the aim of causing the deployment of the safety car to the advantage of its other driver, Fernando Alonso."
Alonso's victory in Singapore came after he had enjoyed the advantage of refuelling just before Piquet's crash, which introduced the safety car period.
Piquet has denied all suggestions that he was ordered to crash and instead he has insisted that he spun off because he was pushing too hard.
Piquet was dismissed by Renault last month and was afterwards outspoken in his criticism of the team and team boss Flavio Briatore, describing the Italian as his executioner.
Former world champions Renault have already been in the FIA dock this season.
They were banned for one race after a wheel flew off Alonso's car at the Hungarian Grand Prix.
However, the suspension, which would have ruled Alonso out of his home race in Valencia in August, was lifted on appeal.
Date created : 2009-09-04