Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

Providing Internet to rural areas

Read more

WEB NEWS

290 Syrian cultural sites damaged by civil war

Read more

WEB NEWS

The best viral Christmas ads of 2012

Read more

FASHION

Fashion, what's happened in 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

France: 2014 in review

Read more

#THE 51%

South Africa: Taking a stand against child marriage

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book (part 2)

Read more

REPORTERS

France 24’s best documentaries of 2014

Read more

Middle east

New settler homes approved for West Bank

Video by Nicolas GERMAIN

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-09-08

Despite US pressure to halt settlements, Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak has approved the construction of more than 450 new homes in the occupied West Bank. Some 2,500 settler homes are already under construction.

AFP - Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak has authorised the construction of more than 450 new housing units in settlements in the occupied West Bank, his ministry said in a statement on Monday.

"Defence Minister Ehud Barak has authorised the construction of 455 housing units in settlement blocs" in the occupied West Bank, it said after an earlier statement that he had approved 366 and would later approve more to bring the total to 450.

The move -- which comes just days ahead of a planned visit to the region by US Middle East envoy George Mitchell -- is likely to spark further criticism from the Palestinians, the United States and Europe, which have already warned that it could endanger a resumption of peace talks with the Palestinians.

Israel's hawkish Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said he would approve a burst of settlement construction before considering a US-demanded halt, in a move that analysts say is aimed at appeasing pressure from the right-wing of his hawkish Likud party.

Washington has for months pushed Israel to freeze all settlement activity and for Arab states to take steps towards normalising relations with it in order to revive Middle East peace talks suspended late last year over Israel's war on the Gaza Strip.

Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas has blasted the plans to build-and-halt as unacceptable, and warned that if Israel goes ahead there wll be no point in holding a three-way meeting between him, Netanyahu and Obama on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly later this month.

"We will not go back to the negotiating table before a halt to the settlement building," Abbas's spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeina told AFP on Monday in Saudi Arabia where the president is holding talks.

Amid media speculation that some Arab states may answer Obama's call and agree to normalisation steps with Israel, such as the issuing of visas, Abbas called "for a unified Arab stance in face of Israel."

Construction within Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank -- considered illegal by the international community and one of the thorniest issues in the decades-old Middle East conflict -- requires the go-ahead of the defence minister.

According to Israeli media, Netanyahu is mulling agreeing to what his allies said would be an "easing" of settlement construction, but any moratorium would exclude some 2,500 homes already being built in the West Bank, as well as any building in annexed east Jerusalem.
 

Date created : 2009-09-07

COMMENT(S)