Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Shimon Peres: 'a man of many faces'

Read more

THE DEBATE

The Legacy of Shimon Peres: The last of Israel's founding generation (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

The Legacy of Shimon Peres: What's left of the Oslo Accords? (part 2)

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Ex-CIA director 'very worried' by prospect of Trump presidency

Read more

FACE-OFF

Migrant crisis: A political football in France?

Read more

FOCUS

Will France repatriate its collection of 19th century Algerian skulls?

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: 'The Dancer', 'Aquarius' and 'Dogs'

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

War in Syria: Residents recount ordeal of life in Aleppo

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Shimon Peres’ Quixotic battle for Israeli-Palestinian peace

Read more

Sir Alex Ferguson defends Man U signing of teenage player

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-09-11

Alex Ferguson has spoken out to defend Manchester United's conduct in the signing of the young player Paul Pogba and deny claims from the midfielder's former club Le Havre that United had paid the 16-year-old's parents.

REUTERS - Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has defended his club against allegations from Le Havre that they illegally poached young French midfielder Paul Pogba.

 

"I think they are always going to bring Manchester United into it because they are the biggest club, without any foundation or knowledge of the situation whatsoever," Ferguson told reporters on Thursday.

 

"There has been a lot of jumping on the bandwagon but I can assure you that Manchester United behave absolutely correctly in all their dealings with young players and their parents."

 

Ferguson said paying a parent in a transfer deal would be the "biggest headache" you could ever have.

 

"This (accusation) was levelled by some frustrated director at the French club and he is now going to have to retract," Ferguson said.

 

"We do it impeccably, what other clubs do is obviously subject to a lot of controversy at the moment but I'm confident of our own club."

 

Chelsea were banned by FIFA last week from operating in the next two transfer windows over their signing of French youngster Gael Kakuta.

 

 

Date created : 2009-09-11

COMMENT(S)