Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Donors pledge millions at Uganda refugee summit

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Depp plumbs depths of bad taste

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

France's new frontman, America's absent center, May's Brexit gambit, Saudi royal reshuffle, after Mosul & Raqqa fall

Read more

REVISITED

Senegal’s Casamance hopes for new era of peace

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

FARC disarmament a 'historic day' for Colombia, says president

Read more

FASHION

Cruise collections: All aboard for Dior and Chanel's latest fashions

Read more

ENCORE!

Colombia comes to France

Read more

#THE 51%

The last taboo: Helping women and girls. Period.

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Who benefits when the ice caps melt?

Read more

Renault technical director to stand in for Briatore

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-09-24

The technical director of Renault's Formula One team, Briton Bob Bell, will stand in as team manager to the end of the season following the departure of Flavio Briatore in a race-fixing controversy dubbed the "Crashgate".

REUTERS - Technical director Bob Bell will stand in as Renault Formula One team principal to the end of the season following the departure of Flavio Briatore in a race-fixing controversy.

"Following the unfortunate recent events, the Renault F1 Team has reacted swiftly by implementing a new temporary management team structure," Renault said in a statement on Wednesday.

"Bob Bell will attend all the remaining races of the season and will be the team's spokesperson on all sporting and technical matters," the team added. Bell will also be the team's chief technical officer.

Jean-Francois Caubet, who had been head of marketing and communications, takes on the role of Managing Director reporting with Bell to team president Bernard Rey.

"The Renault F1 Team is now ready to concentrate on the future and wishes to stress that no further comments or statements will be issued relating to the events of Singapore 2008," the statement concluded.

Briatore and engineering head Pat Symonds, effectively the flamboyant Italian's deputy, left the team last week before Renault appeared before the governing International Automobile Federation for a hearing in Paris on Monday.

The team were charged with ordering Brazilian driver Nelson Piquet to crash deliberately in last year's Singapore Grand Prix to bring out the safety car and help his team mate Fernando Alonso win the race.

Renault did not contest the charges and were handed a permanent ban from Formula One, suspended for two years.

Briatore was banished from the sport indefinitely while Symonds, the team's strategic mastermind on the pit wall, was barred for five years.

Piquet, granted immunity from punishment by the FIA in return for giving evidence, left the team at the end of July.

Renault have told the FIA they want to stay in Formula One, despite the dent to their image and the effects of the global recession.

Date created : 2009-09-24

COMMENT(S)