Afghan-born Najibullah Zazi, 24, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of conspiring to launch a bombing attack in the US by using “one or more weapons of mass destruction,” in a New-York court.
AFP - Afghan-born terrorism suspect Najibullah Zazi pleaded not guilty in a New York court Tuesday to a charge of conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction as part of an alleged bomb plot.
Judge Raymond Dearie ordered Zazi, 24, to be held without bail after prosecutors argued he was a flight risk and "will pose significant danger to the community if released."
The youthful, bearded Zazi, dressed in dark blue and orange prison garb, remained silent during the hearing in federal court in Brooklyn, New York.
Zazi, who before his arrest worked as an airport shuttle bus driver in Denver, Colorado, is accused of preparing a bombing spree in New York this month.
Prosecutors say he carried bomb-making instructions in a laptop and had been shopping for large quantities of chemicals found in beauty products that could have been the ingredients for explosives.
They also say that he received terrorist training in the Al-Qaeda stronghold of Peshawar, Pakistan.
Defense lawyer J. Michael Dowling said there was no evidence his client had committed any crime. "I would like to stop this rush to judgment," he told dozens of journalists staking out the courthouse.
Date created : 2009-09-29