Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola death toll tops 700

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Villepin Criticises France for Not Speaking Out on Gaza

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

UNRWA official breaks down over Gaza deaths

Read more

DEBATE

Argentina Defaults: Kirchner Cries Foul Over 'Vulture Funds' (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Argentina Defaults: Kirchner Cries Foul Over 'Vulture Funds'

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

War and Markets, with Steen Jakobsen, Chief Economist at Saxo Bank

Read more

FOCUS

Constitution prohibits Aung San Suu Kyi from running for president

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Is Poor Military Training Causing a Larger Death Toll in Gaza?

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

France's Iliad reaches for T-Mobile

Read more

  • Truce violation accusations fly as Gaza ceasefire begins

    Read more

  • Regional summit to tackle deadly Ebola outbreak

    Read more

  • €2.5mn of cocaine ‘disappears’ from Paris police HQ

    Read more

  • Interactive: France’s new plan to counter jihadism in Africa

    Read more

  • Ukrainian army suffers losses in separatist attack

    Read more

  • Dozens killed and injured in Taiwan gas blast

    Read more

  • Argentinian markets plummet following default

    Read more

  • French Jews speak of growing fear in Paris amid Gaza conflict

    Read more

  • Video: Inside Hamas ‘terror’ tunnels in Gaza

    Read more

  • Sierra Leone declares state of emergency over spread of Ebola

    Read more

  • France remembers murdered socialist hero Jean Jaurès

    Read more

  • Air France ground workers to strike on August 2

    Read more

  • Scores feared dead in India landslide

    Read more

  • Russia ordered to pay further €1.9 billion to Yukos shareholders

    Read more

  • Russia defiant as US, EU unveil 'phase three' sanctions

    Read more

Robert Kubica to replace Alonso at Renault

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-10-07

Poland's Robert Kubica (pictured) is to join the Renault Formula One team, replacing Fernando Alonso as of next season, the team, which has had a scandal-hit year, said in a statement.

REUTERS - Poland's Robert Kubica will replace Spain's double Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso at Renault next season, the team said in a statement on Wednesday. 

No details were given about the length of the contract, although Renault said it was from 2010 onwards. 

Kubica has driven for the BMW-Sauber team since 2006 while Alonso, one of the 24-year-old's best friends in the paddock, is moving to Ferrari next year. 

The Pole won last year's Canadian Grand Prix and had been approached by several teams, including Toyota and Williams, once BMW announced they were quitting the sport at the end of the season. 

"I am very happy I will be joining Renault in the 2010 season," Kubica said.  

"I feel I have a special connection with this team because in 2005 I won the World Series by Renault. This gave me the chance to test with the team in Barcelona, which led to my debut in Formula One. 

"I share with Renault a strong winning mentality and feel comfortable with their friendly and open attitude," he added in a statement.

"I'm highly motivated and optimistic that together we can be at the front of the grid next year and, hopefully, fighting for the world title." 

Former champions Renault are licking their wounds after a scandal-hit year, with the team handed a suspended permanent ban from the sport for their role in a race-fixing controversy. 
 

Former boss

Flamboyant former team boss Flavio Briatore has been banned for life and engineering head Pat Symonds barred for five years. 

Kubica, an extremely quick and aggressive driver, has a no-nonsense style that will fit in well with the team's restructuring. 

The tall Pole has also come up the hard way, with no family wealth to support him and from a country with no previous involvement in Formula One. 

Although he had an impressive first test with Renault, he was snapped up by BMW-Sauber from under their noses as a test driver. He then replaced Canada's 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve as a race driver half way through 2006. 

"Ever since Robert made his Grand Prix debut in 2006, he has been on our radar as one of the most naturally talented drivers of his generation," said Renault's acting team principal Bob Bell. 

"He has delivered on that promise so it's great to have secured him in one of our cars next season. Renault has high ambitions and hopes for the future of the team and we feel that Robert can play a big role in fulfilling them." 

Renault did not mention the second driver, currently French rookie Romain Grosjean.

Date created : 2009-10-07

COMMENT(S)