Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

At least 3 dead in grenade attack in Bujumbura

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Inequality, sexism and the movie industry

Read more

ENCORE!

Sienna Miller on motherhood, her new movies and Cannes glamour

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

After the Fall of Ramadi, Palmyra: Did the West Underestimate the Jihadists?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Migrants and Immigrants: A Global Crisis

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Behind the scenes of French gastronomy

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Protests continue in Burundi as calls mount for election delay

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Burundi: Nkurunziza delays parliamentary polls as clashes continue

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

At least two killed in fresh protests in Bujumbura

Read more

Asia-pacific

Six sentenced to death over Xinjiang riots

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-10-12

Six people have been sentenced to death in China's western Xinjiang region over July's ethnic violence between the Uighur minority and Han Chinese majority that left almost 200 dead, Chinese media have reported.

AFP - A court in western China's Xinjiang region sentenced six people to death on Monday in the first trials over July 5 riots that left nearly 200 people dead, state-run television reported.
  
China Central Television (CCTV) said one other defendant was sentenced to life in prison over the unrest, the worst ethnic violence to hit China in decades.
  
During the rioting, members of the ethnic Uighur minority -- most of whom are Muslims -- went on a rampage in attacks directed mainly at members of China's dominant Han ethnic group.
  
The riots left 197 people dead, most of them Han, according to the government.
  
Officials at the Urumqi court refused to immediately confirm the sentences when contacted by AFP, but CCTV said the death sentences were meted out due to the severity of the crimes.
  
Those sentenced appeared to all have Uighur names.
  
Police have detained at least 718 people suspected of crimes related to the unrest, earlier reports said.
  
State-controlled Xinhua news agency quoted the city's prosecutor late last month saying 21 people had so far been charged with crimes including homicide, arson, robbery and property damage related to the riots.
  
Footage broadcast by CCTV showed deserted streets in front of the Urumqi court, with riot police out in force.
  
Urumqi has been under extremely heavy security since the riots, tightened amid a wave of needle attacks beginning in late August which Han have blamed on Uighurs.

Date created : 2009-10-12

COMMENT(S)