Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa university ends teaching in Afrikaans after protests

Read more

#TECH 24

Cyborg plants: Half-robot, half-shrub

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Merkel's Europe: Open borders undermined by migrant crisis (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

State-sponsored doping? Russia and world athletics (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Newspaper industry: What outlook for the French press?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France: Turning wine into vinegar in the city of Orleans

Read more

ENCORE!

A portrait of two photographers: Karen Knorr and Tom Wood

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

USA: Jewish Americans' rocky relationship with Netanyahu

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Migration top of the agenda for African leaders

Read more

Europe

Lawyer expecting Polanski's release from hospital

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-10-19

Film director Roman Polanski, who was arrested in Switzerland on a US warrant over child sex offence charges, is in hospital for medical tests and should soon head back to prison, his lawyer said on Monday.

AFP - Film director Roman Polanski, who was arrested in Switzerland on a US warrant over child sex offence charges, is in hospital for medical tests and should soon head back to prison, his lawyer said Monday.
  
"I hope that he will return to prison today," Herve Temime told AFP, confirming that the Franco-Polish director has been in hospital in recent days.
  
Temime had said on Saturday that Polanski was undergoing medical checks but did not specify for what and where.
  
According to Swiss tabloid Blick, Polanski has been admitted to the University Hospital of Zurich under an alias.
  

It also quoted Temime saying that Polanski was in the hospital over "small health problems that he has had in the past weeks."
  
When asked, Termime confirmed the information, without giving further details about the nature of the illness.
  
"There is nothing to be alarmed about," said Temime, pointing out that Polanski is 76 years old, and has not been "in the best of health."
  
The Oscar-winning director has been regarded as a fugitive by US authorities since he fled the country in 1978 after admitting to sex with a 13-year-old girl.
  
He was detained by Swiss police when he went to Zurich to collect an award at the city's film festival.
  
The Swiss government has said it opposed bail for the director and referred the matter to the tribunal court in the town of Bellinzona, where an appeal had been lodged.

Date created : 2009-10-19

COMMENT(S)