Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

'Ice Bucket Challenge' angers anti-abortion activists

Read more

#TECH 24

Tomorrow's Transport Today

Read more

FOCUS

Mothers and children leaving Honduras at all costs

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

US journalist Peter Theo Curtis freed in Syria

Read more

ENCORE!

An art wonderland: A burnt-out piano, a bed in a box and a giant magic mushroom

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Historian Jean Garrigues: 'For the first time, Hollande knows what he is doing'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'Macron-economy' pun already worn out

Read more

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War

Read more

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War (part 2)

Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • Russian troops have entered Ukraine, says Kiev

    Read more

  • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie say ‘I do’ in France

    Read more

  • Assad cannot be partner in fight against terrorism, says Hollande

    Read more

  • New Ebola case in Nigeria brings death toll to 1,552

    Read more

  • Video: 'Neither Baghdad nor the US can defeat the Islamic State'

    Read more

  • Platini will not run against Blatter for FIFA presidency

    Read more

  • Air France pilots announce week-long strike in September

    Read more

  • Erdogan's inauguration paves way for constitutional change

    Read more

  • New French economy minister takes swipe at 35-hour work week

    Read more

  • Air France suspends flights to Ebola-stricken Sierra Leone

    Read more

  • Uzi shooting by 9-year-old rekindles gun debate

    Read more

  • Mother of American journalist asks IS leader for his release

    Read more

  • UN probe accuses Syrian regime, Islamists of ‘crimes against humanity’

    Read more

  • Uruguayans sign up to grow marijuana at home

    Read more

  • Missouri governor appoints black public safety director

    Read more

  • French unemployment rises 0.8% in July to record high

    Read more

  • Video: Iraq’s Yazidis flee to spiritual capital of Lalish

    Read more

  • Video: Milan is starting point for Syrian refugees’ European odyssey

    Read more

Europe

Karadzic trial to begin despite defendant's refusal to appear

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-10-26

The long-anticipated trial of former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic will begin on Monday despite Karadzic’s announcement that he will not be present at court, saying he needs more time to prepare his defence.

AFP - Bosnian Serb wartime leader Radovan Karadzic won't be the first accused to boycott the opening of an international war crimes trial, though few had announced their absence in advance.
   
Karadzic, 64, informed the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) last Wednesday that he would not be present for Monday's start of his trial, in which he will conduct his own defence -- claiming he had been denied adequate time to prepare.
   
The rules of the tribunal, which preclude a suspect being tried in absentia, do not specify the procedure to be followed if an accused in its detention refuses to appear.
   
This leaves it up to the judges to decide whether to continue in Karadzic's absence, have him brought to court by force, impose a defence lawyer on him or to give in to his demand for more time.
   
In a famous precedent, ultra-nationalist Serb leader Vojislav Seselj delayed his own trial before the ICTY by a year, protesting the judges' appointment of a backup defence lawyer for him.
   
He refused to leave his jail cell for the trial opening in November 2006, having been on a hunger strike for more than two weeks to insist on the right to conduct his own defence.
   
Seselj's trial, which finally opened in November 2007 with him present in court, is still underway.
   
Former Serb intelligence chief Jovica Stanisic had also boycotted the start of his ICTY trial in March 2008, claiming he was too ill to attend. The case got underway in June this year after repeated postponements.
   
Tried in The Hague by the Special Court for Sierra Leone, former Liberian president Charles Taylor refused to attend the scheduled start of his trial in June 2007, citing differences with his lawyer.
   
A new lawyer was appointed and the trial got underway in earnest in January 2008.
   
At least three accused had boycotted their trials before the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) in Arusha, Tanzania.
   
Jean Bosco Barayagwiza, one of the alleged founders of an extremist Hutu radio station, refused to attend his genocide trial which continued in his absence. He was sentenced to 35 years in jail in December 2003.

 

Date created : 2009-10-26

  • EUROPE

    War crimes trial to begin Monday despite Karadzic boycott

    Read more

  • THE HAGUE

    Karadzic appeal rejected, trial date set for October 26

    Read more

COMMENT(S)