Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

DR Congo : thousands welcome opposition leader Tshisekedi after two-year absence

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'France 24' amongst French media to stop publishing jihadists' photos

Read more

THE DEBATE

Church attack aftermath - France's political fallout: who stands to benefit?

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Safety at any cost in Israel

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: ‘Genius’, ‘The Secret Life of Pets’ and ‘Endless Summer’

Read more

FOCUS

Europe struggles to crack down on weapons trafficking

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

France priest terror attack: Is Europe helpless?

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Another drop in iPhone sales, so why are Apple shares rising?

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Horror in the church: Priest 'assassinated by barbarians'

Read more

Culture

Polanski victim asks court to dismiss case

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-10-26

The victim in the 32-year-old sex case involving filmmaker Roman Polanski has asked for charges against the director to be dropped, court filings show.

AFP - The victim in the Roman Polanski sex case has called for charges against the director to be dismissed, court filings showed Monday.
   
Lawyers for Samantha Geimer, who was 13 when Polanski had sex with her in 1977, called for the dismissal in a court motion filed in Los Angeles on Friday.
   
The motion said Geimer, who now lives in Hawaii with her husband and children, had suffered health problems after being hounded by media since Polanski's arrest in Switzerland last month.
   
"Between Samantha and her counsel, they have received close to 500 telephone calls from media around the world seeking a comment," the motion filed with California's 2nd District Court of Appeal read.
   
"Larry King has called, Oprah has called, every national network morning show has called. The LA Times has three reporters calling, as do nearly every major newspaper in the United States and abroad," the motion added.
   
"The response -- 'please leave me alone.' But they won't leave her alone," it read.
   
The court filing said Geimer's mother, husband and children had all been "hounded" by journalists, affecting her health and her job.
   
"Calls at all hours, invade her at home, on her cell phone and at her place of employment," the filing said. "The victim is again the victim."
   
"The pursuit has caused her to have health-related issues. The pursuit has caused her performance at her job to be interfered with."
   
The pursuit of Geimer risked "the real possibility" she could lose her job, the motion said.



 

Date created : 2009-10-26

  • POLANSKI

    US formally demands film director's extradition

    Read more

  • SWITZERLAND

    Court rejects Polanski bail request

    Read more

COMMENT(S)