Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Brexit opens door for Macron to push for greater European integration

Read more

THE DEBATE

Macron's marching orders: New French President's first EU summit

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Handling the heatwave

Read more

FOCUS

South Sudan: A rare look at both sides of the civil war

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

Paris Air Show: Big plane builders face increasing competition

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Former UK police chief: 'We are facing disorganised terrorism'

Read more

ENCORE!

Diana Krall: 'I find romance in everything'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Saudi Arabia's 'Prince of Chaos'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Macron's government, take two: 'Reviewed and corrected'

Read more

Africa

EU imposes sanctions, arms embargo against junta leaders

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-10-27

The EU has issued an arms embargo on Guinea and slapped financial and travel sanctions on members of the country's ruling junta. The African country was plunged into crisis following the massacre of opposition protesters in Conakry in September.

AFP - Guinea's military junta was hit with a European Union arms embargo and sanctions against its leaders on Tuesday, the bloc's Swedish presidency said.
  
"The council has decided to adopt measures targeting the members of the CNDD (junta) and individuals associated with them," according to council conclusions adopted at a meeting of foreign ministers in Luxembourg.
  
"The council has also decided to impose an arms embargo on Guinea," the statement added in response to "gross violations of human rights" that have already resulted in a regional arms embargo among west African states.
  
The decision comes almost four weeks after a massacre at an opposition rally in the capital Conakry where more than 150 people were killed, according to United Nations estimates.
  
The EU sanctions would primarily involve freezing finances and not issuing visas for travel to Europe -- EU development aid for Guinea was already suspended earlier this year.
  
Troops opened fire in a Conakry stadium on September 28 at a rally urging junta leader Captain Moussa Dadis Camara not to stand in elections planned for January.
  
The junta says 56 people were killed, while rights groups say that at least 157 people were killed and more than 1,200 hurt, including women who were raped by soldiers.
  
The International Criminal Court in The Hague has opened an investigation.

Date created : 2009-10-27

  • GUINEA

    France advises its citizens in Guinea to leave the country

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    African nations to hold special talks on Guinea, Niger political crises

    Read more

COMMENT(S)