Former Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin, who faces charges of complicity in a smear campaign targeting Nicolas Sarkozy, has re-positioned himself as a potential rival for the presidency, saying he wants to embody a "Republican alternative".
REUTERS - Former French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin is positioning himself as a challenger to Nicolas Sarkozy in the 2012 presidential election, using a political trial to re-launch his career.
Clearstream - France's trial of the decade
- Clearstream scandal: a happy end?
- Paris court upholds Villepin acquittal in Clearstream case
- Sarkozy, arms deals and suitcases of cash
- Appeals court holds final session in Clearstream case
- Prosecutor seeks suspended sentence for Villepin
- Former PM Villepin on trial: high noon for Sarkozy's rival
- Villepin returns to court over Sarkozy smear charges
- Clearstream: a french Watergate? (part 2)
- Clearstream: a french Watergate?
- What future for France's investigating judges?
- The dream of supersonic air travel
- Villepin faces retrial, ex-PM slams Sarkozy's 'vendetta'
- “Villepin is back in the political game”
- Former PM cleared of trying to discredit Sarkozy
Date created : 2009-10-28