Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa university ends teaching in Afrikaans after protests

Read more

#TECH 24

Cyborg plants: Half-robot, half-shrub

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Merkel's Europe: Open borders undermined by migrant crisis (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

State-sponsored doping? Russia and world athletics (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Newspaper industry: What outlook for the French press?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France: Turning wine into vinegar in the city of Orleans

Read more

ENCORE!

A portrait of two photographers: Karen Knorr and Tom Wood

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

USA: Jewish Americans' rocky relationship with Netanyahu

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Migration top of the agenda for African leaders

Read more

Africa

African Union slaps sanctions on Guinea junta

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-10-29

African leaders have decided to impose sanctions on military-ruled Guinea in the wake of last month's massacre of scores of opposition supporters in the capital, Conakry, leaving the country increasingly isolated.

AFP - African leaders decided Thursday to impose sanctions on military-ruled Guinea in the wake of last month's massacre of scores of opposition supporters, a statement said.
  
Heads of states who sit on the African Union Peace and Security Council decided to "to take all the necessary measures towards the implementation of targeted sanctions including denial of visas, travel restrictions and freezing of assets."
  
The sanctions will target junta leader Captain Moussa Dadis Camara "as well as members of the government and any of the civilian or military persons whose activities are aimed at maintaining the unconstitutional status quo in Guinea," the statement said.
  
The move comes a month after junta troops opened fire in a Conakry stadium at a rally urging Camara not to stand in presidential elections planned for January.
  
At least 150 people died when troops opened fire on thousands of protesters in a Conakry stadium on September 28, the United Nations says. Human rights groups put the toll at 157 dead and more than 1,200 injured, including women who were publicly raped.
  
The miliatry regime has admitted that 56 people died and 934 were wounded.
  
The junta seized power in the mineral-rich state on 23 December last year, just hours after the death of Guinea's longserving ruler Lansana Conte, who was an autocratic army general.
  
The African Union sanctions are the latest in a string of punitive measures to be taken against the junta.
  
On Tuesday the European Union said it was imposing an arms embargo, assets freezes and travel bans on junta leaders.
  
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) also imposed an arms embargo earlier this month.
  
 

Date created : 2009-10-29

  • GUINEA

    Human Rights Watch says Sept. 28 massacre was premeditated

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    EU imposes sanctions, arms embargo against junta leaders

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    France advises its citizens in Guinea to leave the country

    Read more

COMMENT(S)