Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa university ends teaching in Afrikaans after protests

Read more

#TECH 24

Cyborg plants: Half-robot, half-shrub

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Merkel's Europe: Open borders undermined by migrant crisis (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

State-sponsored doping? Russia and world athletics (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Newspaper industry: What outlook for the French press?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France: Turning wine into vinegar in the city of Orleans

Read more

ENCORE!

A portrait of two photographers: Karen Knorr and Tom Wood

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

USA: Jewish Americans' rocky relationship with Netanyahu

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Migration top of the agenda for African leaders

Read more

France

French families to sue over soldiers' deaths

Video by Rebecca BOWRING

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-10-29

The families of two French soldiers killed in an ambush in August 2008 in Afghanistan's north-eastern Kapisa Valley are planning to file a lawsuit to determine whether the lives of their loved ones were put at risk unnecessarily.

REUTERS - The families of two French soldiers killed in Afghanistan last year plan to file a lawsuit to find out whether their lives were put at risk unnecessarily, their lawyer said on Thursday.
 
The two were among 10 French soldiers killed in an ambush in a valley east of Kabul in August 2008. A NATO account later said the men had been insufficiently trained and equipped, sparking a national debate over French troops in Afghanistan.
 
The lawsuit over "deliberately endangering the lives of others" is expected to be filed with a military tribunal on Monday, lawyer Gilbert Collard said.
 
It was not clear whether the lawsuit would be filed against the army or against an unknown party, a procedure often used to push demands for an investigation.
 
France has some 3,000 troops in Afghanistan, one of the biggest contingents after the United States, Britain and Germany.
 
Like its allies, it is caught between public resistance to increasing troop numbers and the inability of existing forces on the ground to cope with a worsening insurgency. France has repeatedly said it will not send more soldiers.
 
The defence ministry reacted cautiously. Spokesman Laurent Teisseire told a news conference it would wait until the families and the court confirmed the lawsuit.
 
"It's up to each family to decide what to do after the death of one of its members," he said.
 
An internal investigation after the ambush showed there were "a number of improvements" to be made, Teisseire said, adding that appropriate changes were then put into place.
 
The NATO account said the soldiers had been supplied with inadequate ammunition and poor communications equipment.
 
Collard said the lawsuit was not against the army as a whole, but that mistakes were made by officers in charge.
 
He said the families felt their questions over the deaths had not been answered.
 
"We want an investigation to establish the truth," he added. "To find out the chain of responsibilities and point out flaws in the command chain, in the interest of the army itself."
 

Date created : 2009-10-29

  • AFGHANISTAN

    French army faces the Taliban in Kapisa

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    French army denies reports of Italy paying bribes to Taliban

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    French victims' families react to reports of Italy bribing Taliban

    Read more

COMMENT(S)