Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Seven African countries' economies at risk over Brexit decision

Read more

THE DEBATE

Britain votes out: What next?

Read more

#TECH 24

The 'fintech' revolution

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

A certified 'palace': How hotels strive for excellence

Read more

#THE 51%

In her own image: Women in Art

Read more

REPORTERS

World War I: When northern France was on German time

Read more

REVISITED

Video: Ugandan city still scarred by Lord's Resistance Army atrocities

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#Brexit sparks a storm on social media

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Markets, pound plunge on Brexit vote

Read more

Africa

Opposition hands transition plan to mediator

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-11-05

Guinea's opposition has handed mediating Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore (pictured left) a plan for an interim government to replace the ruling junta within six months.

AFP - Guinea's opposition on Wednesday called for the formation of an interim government after a massacre in September by forces loyal to a military junta which seized power late last year.
  
They made the demand to Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore, who is mediating in the mineral-rich west African country following a bloodbath on September 28 of more than 150 people who had rallied to persuade junta leader Captain Moussa Dadis Camara not to stand in elections he announced for January.
  
"Basically we called for the dissolution of (the junta), the departure of its chief and the installation of a transitional administration which will be chosen by consensus," said former prime minister Cellou Dalein Diallo.
  
"We have given a time frame. We think that the transition could last six months," Diallo said.
  
Compaore was named mediator in Guinea last month by his west African peers, and on Tuesday he held talks in Guinea with political leaders, trade union officials and representatives of civil society.
  
The Burkinabe leader said he found the opposition "proposals constructive and interesting at the same time," and added that he would now hold talks with representatives of the junta on Tuesday.
  
"We have heard one side. We will now hear the viewpoints and the suggestions of the other camp," he added.
  
The opposition forces gathered in Ouagadougou have demanded since the massacre that the junta step down. It has been in power since December 23, 2008, a few hours after the death of hardline president Lansana Conte.

Date created : 2009-11-05

  • GUINEA

    African Union slaps sanctions on Guinea junta

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Human Rights Watch says Sept. 28 massacre was premeditated

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    EU imposes sanctions, arms embargo against junta leaders

    Read more

COMMENT(S)