One person was killed and five others wounded when a gunman went on a shooting spree in an office building in Orlando, Florida, on Friday. It was the second deadly shooting incident in the US in as many days.
The attack occurred in the high-rise Gateway Centre in downtown Orlando, sending panicked city workers fleeing, with some reportedly barricading themselves into offices while the shooting occurred.
The Orlando police have since apprehended the suspect, identified as 40-year-old Jason Rodriguez, who used to work in the building.
Reporting from Washington DC, FRANCE 24’s Guillaume Meyer said Rodriguez apparently worked for an architectural engineering firm. “He was apparently laid off by the company around two years ago and since then, he had remained unemployed and was deeply frustrated with his situation,” said Meyer.
The shooting incident came a day after a US army psychiatrist opened fire at a US military base in Fort Hood, Texas, killing 13 of his colleagues.
“This is a very tense time in the US with the shooting yesterday that occurred on a military base,” said Meyer. “Tensions are high and people are certainly worried.”
Date created : 2009-11-06