Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa university ends teaching in Afrikaans after protests

Read more

#TECH 24

Cyborg plants: Half-robot, half-shrub

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Merkel's Europe: Open borders undermined by migrant crisis (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

State-sponsored doping? Russia and world athletics (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Newspaper industry: What outlook for the French press?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France: Turning wine into vinegar in the city of Orleans

Read more

ENCORE!

A portrait of two photographers: Karen Knorr and Tom Wood

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

USA: Jewish Americans' rocky relationship with Netanyahu

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Migration top of the agenda for African leaders

Read more

Africa

Military rulers propose junta-led transitional government

Video by Siobhán SILKE

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-11-14

Guinea's ruling junta submitted a proposal on Wednesday for the creation of a transitional government that would keep junta leader Captain Moussa Dadis Camara in power, leaving little scope for compromise with the country's opposition.

AFP - Guinea's ruling junta late Wednesday presented proposals for the creation of a transitional government that would keep junta chief Captain Moussa Dadis Camara in place.
   
The proposals were passed to Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore who is mediating in talks with the country's opposition in Ouagadougou, after forces loyal to the junta on September 28 massacred more than 150 people.
   
The killings took place at a rally in a Conakry stadium, organised to urge Camara not to stand in elections planned for January.
   
In a 10-page document, junta representatives proposed a prime minister appointed by consensus "under the authority of the president Moussa Dadis Camara," Idrissa Cherif, special adviser to the junta chief, told AFP.
   
Cherif is one of a 26-member delegation sent by the junta to have talks with Compaore, who met the opposition last week. The team from the National Council for Democracy and Development (CNDD), as the junta has called itself, is led by the CNDD permanent secretary, Colonel Moussa Keita.
   
Last week Guinea's opposition held discussions with Compaore and called for the dissolution of the junta, which seized power late last year, and the departure of Camara.
   
The opposition says that at least 157 people died in the massacre and more than 1,200 were injured, including women who were raped in public, while the junta admits that 56 people were killed and has announced an inquiry, in parallel with one to be undertaken by the United Nations.
   
Since the killings, the opposition has systematically refused to have any dealings with the junta.

Date created : 2009-11-12

  • GUINEA

    Opposition hands transition plan to mediator

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    African Union slaps sanctions on junta

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Human Rights Watch says Sept. 28 massacre was premeditated

    Read more

COMMENT(S)