Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa university ends teaching in Afrikaans after protests

Read more

#TECH 24

Cyborg plants: Half-robot, half-shrub

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Merkel's Europe: Open borders undermined by migrant crisis (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

State-sponsored doping? Russia and world athletics (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Newspaper industry: What outlook for the French press?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France: Turning wine into vinegar in the city of Orleans

Read more

ENCORE!

A portrait of two photographers: Karen Knorr and Tom Wood

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

USA: Jewish Americans' rocky relationship with Netanyahu

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Migration top of the agenda for African leaders

Read more

middle east - do not use

Hassan Nasrallah is re-elected head of Hezbollah

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-11-20

Hassan Nasrallah was re-elected head of Hezbollah on Thursday following a congress that also adopted a new manifesto, which is to be revealed in coming days, the militant Shiite party announced.

AFP - Hassan Nasrallah was re-elected head of Hezbollah on Thursday following a congress that also adopted a new manifesto, which is to be revealed in coming days, the militant Shiite party announced.

Nasrallah, 49, has headed Hezbollah since 1992 when his predecessor, Abbas Moussaoui, was killed in an Israeli helicopter raid.

A statement by the party, created in 1982, said Nasrallah would explain the contents of the manifesto at a press conference to be announced soon.

The Hezbollah leader has lived in hiding since the 2006 war between his group and Israel and rarely appears in public. His last press conference was held via video link.

Hezbollah's first manifesto in 1985 called for the establishment of Islamic rule in Lebanon, but the party leadership has toned down its rhetoric in recent years as it gained political clout.

The Thursday statement said the new political document adopted at the party congress endorsed modifications in line with changes that have taken place within the party in recent years.

The group, considered a terrorist organisation by Washington, has two ministers in the new government formed earlier this month.

It is the only party that has refused to surrender its weapons following Lebanon's 1975-1990 civil war on grounds that its arsenal is needed to defend the country against Israeli aggression.

Date created : 2009-11-20

  • LEBANON

    Hezbollah warns new government to avoid arms issue

    Read more

  • LEBANON

    Prime Minister Hariri forms new unity government

    Read more

  • LEBANON

    Hezbollah denies link to arms seized by Israeli navy

    Read more

COMMENT(S)