Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa university ends teaching in Afrikaans after protests

Read more

#TECH 24

Cyborg plants: Half-robot, half-shrub

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Merkel's Europe: Open borders undermined by migrant crisis (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

State-sponsored doping? Russia and world athletics (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Newspaper industry: What outlook for the French press?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France: Turning wine into vinegar in the city of Orleans

Read more

ENCORE!

A portrait of two photographers: Karen Knorr and Tom Wood

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

USA: Jewish Americans' rocky relationship with Netanyahu

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Migration top of the agenda for African leaders

Read more

Business

Hershey Trust backs $17 billion bid for Cadbury, says report

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-11-21

Hershey’s controlling trust is backing a $17 billion counter-bid for Cadbury, according to a leading US daily, following a $16.5 billion bid by US food giant Kraft.

AFP - A charitable trust controlling US chocolate maker Hershey is backing a bid of 17 billion dollars for Britain's Cadbury,  the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.
  
The Journal, citing several people familiar with the matter, said the Hershey Trust is pressing to top the hostile bid from US food giant Kraft estimated at some 16.5 billion dollars.
  
The bid, if it emerges, could include 10 billion dollars in cash from Hershey as well as two billion dollars worth of Hershey shares, the report said. Additional funds may be sought from other investors.
  
The Journal reported earlier that Hershey was mulling a joint bid with Italian confectioner Ferrero.
  
On Wednesday, a Cadbury spokesman told AFP that it would only consider a takeover offer which delivered "full value" for Cadbury.
  

Date created : 2009-11-21

COMMENT(S)