Thierry Henry has given an exclusive interview to sports paper l’Equipe. He explains how he considered abandoning his international football career in the aftermath of his infamous handball during Wednesday’s France-Ireland match.
Thierry Henry has told l’Equipe that he was overwhelmed and upset by what was said about him in the aftermath of Wednesday’s France-Ireland match. The French captain has been heavily criticized for handling the ball in the run up to France’s equalizing goal which saw les Bleus lead Ireland on aggregate and qualify for the World Cup. Henry says he felt ‘very alone’ over the last few days and even considered putting an end to his international career because he felt abandoned in this whole controversy. On reflection though, Henry says he will participate in the World Cup in South Africa.
L’Equipe questions the timing of Henry’s press release last week in which he called for the France-Ireland match to be replayed…the same day that FIFA ruled out the possibility of this happening. Was this a mere publicity stunt? Henry insists that it was a coincidence.
Henry also says he regrets having celebrated the controversial goal but says he did face up to his responsibilities in admitting after the match that he had handled the ball.
Other stories in today’s French papers:
Pierre Bergé criticizes the Telethon saying it is a parasite on the generosity of French people
The Telethon accused on monopolizing our generosity
Why supporters are abandoning the Socialist Party
Eric Besson’s questionnaire on national identity
A practical guide to xenophobia and anti-republicanism
Fraudster steals colleagues’ credit cards to feed online poker addiction