Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa university ends teaching in Afrikaans after protests

Read more

#TECH 24

Cyborg plants: Half-robot, half-shrub

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Merkel's Europe: Open borders undermined by migrant crisis (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

State-sponsored doping? Russia and world athletics (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Newspaper industry: What outlook for the French press?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France: Turning wine into vinegar in the city of Orleans

Read more

ENCORE!

A portrait of two photographers: Karen Knorr and Tom Wood

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

USA: Jewish Americans' rocky relationship with Netanyahu

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Migration top of the agenda for African leaders

Read more

Sports

Thierry Henry considered quitting internationals after handball scandal

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-11-24

Thierry Henry considered ending his international career, reported French sports daily L'Equipe on Monday, following the uproar after the striker's blatant handball in a France-Ireland match on Nov. 18 that gave France their ticket to South Africa.

REUTERS - Thierry Henry considered ending his France career over the uproar that surrounded the striker's blatant handball in last week's World Cup playoff victory over Ireland.

"Oh yes," the France captain was quoted in Monday's French sports daily L'Equipe as saying when asked whether retiring from international soccer had crossed his mind.

"Friday, when it all went too far, I was very worked up."

Henry has been under fire since handling the ball in the build-up to William Gallas's equaliser that gave France a 1-1 draw on Wednesday and a 2-1 aggregate win.

"It's not the first time (that I thought about retiring)," Henry added. "After the 2006 World Cup, I thought about it, but it was too early. After Euro 2008, too, but it wasn't the right moment. There was a generation that needed me.

"Despite everything that has just happened and the fact that I felt let down, I will not let my country down," he added.

Henry, who issued a statement saying a replay would be the fairest solution only after world government body FIFA said the result would stand, said he regretted the way he had celebrated the decisive goal.

"I shouldn't have done that but, frankly, it was uncontrollable, after all we had been through," he said. The 32-year-old Henry, who has scored a French record 51 goals from 117 internationals, blamed the French Football Federation for their lack of support.

"The day after the match, and the day after that, I felt alone, really alone," he said. "It was only after I issued my statement that the people from the French Federation got in touch."

Date created : 2009-11-23

  • FOOTBALL - 2010 WORLD CUP

    Ireland concede defeat in replay bid

    Read more

  • 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

    Sarkozy apologises to Ireland, but does not back Cowen's replay call

    Read more

  • 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

    Henry's handball sparks media storm against 'Les Bleus'

    Read more

COMMENT(S)