Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FOCUS

Mothers and children leaving Honduras at all costs

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

US journalist Peter Theo Curtis freed in Syria

Read more

WEB NEWS

"Ice Bucket Challenge" angers anti-abortion activists

Read more

ENCORE!

An art wonderland: A burnt-out piano, a bed in a box and a giant magic mushroom

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Historian Jean Garrigues: 'For the first time, Hollande knows what he is doing'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'Macron-economy' pun already worn out

Read more

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War

Read more

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War (part 2)

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

New French economy minister signals changes to 35-hour week

Read more

  • Russian troops have entered Ukraine, says Kiev

    Read more

  • Assad cannot be partner in fight against terrorism, says Hollande

    Read more

  • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie say ‘I do’ in France

    Read more

  • New Ebola case in Nigeria brings death toll to 1,552

    Read more

  • Video: 'Neither Baghdad nor the US can defeat the Islamic State'

    Read more

  • Platini will not run against Blatter for FIFA presidency

    Read more

  • Air France pilots announce week-long strike in September

    Read more

  • Erdogan's inauguration paves way for constitutional change

    Read more

  • New French economy minister takes swipe at 35-hour work week

    Read more

  • Air France suspends flights to Ebola-stricken Sierra Leone

    Read more

  • Uzi shooting by 9-year-old rekindles gun debate

    Read more

  • Mother of American journalist asks IS leader for his release

    Read more

  • UN probe accuses Syrian regime, Islamists of ‘crimes against humanity’

    Read more

  • Uruguayans sign up to grow marijuana at home

    Read more

  • Missouri governor appoints black public safety director

    Read more

  • French unemployment rises 0.8% in July to record high

    Read more

  • Video: Iraq’s Yazidis flee to spiritual capital of Lalish

    Read more

  • Video: Milan is starting point for Syrian refugees’ European odyssey

    Read more

Europe

Former defence minister resigns over Afghan air strike

Text by News Wires , Euny HONG

Latest update : 2010-02-24

Labour Minister Franz Josef Jung resigned on Friday over a German-ordered NATO bombing in Afghanistan in which dozens of civilians are believed to have died. Jung was serving as defence minister at the time of the Sept. 4 strike.

Franz Josef Jung, German labour minister and former defence minister, resigned on Friday amid allegations of a cover-up of an air strike that killed civilians in Afghanistan when he was defence minister.

On Thursday Jung admitted in parliament he had known for weeks of the existence of a military report that pointed to 30 civilian deaths during the air strike in Kunduz on Sept. 4. But he said he had no "concrete knowledge" of its contents because it had been passed to NATO.

The strike has been called the deadliest operation involving German troops since World War Two.


Jung crucified

The German press, which has been clamouring for Jung’s resignation, sharply criticised Jung’s speech, saying that it was no admission of guilt.

In his resignation speech on Friday morning, he said that he always acted “according to the knowledge I was given,” adding, “I hereby assume the political responsibility for the internal communication policy of the defence ministry.”

Der Tagesspiegel, a respected German daily, commented on Jung's statement: “In plain language, ‘My hands are clean, it wasn’t me, it was someone else.’”  The same article referred to him disparagingly as “the short man”; along the same lines, the popular German weekly Stern said that Jung "never had the stature to be a Bundesminister.”

FRANCE 24 Berlin correspondent Damien McGuinness explained the roots of the unanimous asperity: “Jung was never very popular,” he said. Furthermore, the German public were upset about the strike even before the admission of the concealed casualty deaths.

One of the controversies surrounding the Kunduz strike was that German forces called in a US warplane to carry out the raid. Said McGuinness, “There were already accusations that correct procedure was not followed. People realise mistakes can be made in war, but in this case there were too many mistakes.”

Merkel unruffled

Angela Merkel has so far emerged from the incident unscathed. McGuinness explained, “Merkel has a style more presidential than of a leader of government. She says as little as possible and what she says in hard to pin down. It’s never controversial, and she always backs the winner.” In this case, the winner was Defence Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg – whom Merkel had hand-picked to replace Jung shortly after she won the Kanzlerei for a second time in September 2009.

Merkel, in other words, had already made her quiet stance by moving Jung over to a different ministry. As McGuinness observes, “Merkel did her classic thing of stepping back from conflict. She has slowly, silently rolled back her support of Jung.”

The PR problem

The Afghanistan mission is hugely unpopular in Germany. Still, said McGuinness, the government is uniformly in favour of maintaining it. “The problem with deployment is that although politicians feel it’s the right thing, they haven’t sold it to the people.” Zu Guttenberg, said McGuinness, was appointed precisely to bring his charisma and PR to the post and hopefully sway public opinion.

Germany has some 4,250 troops in Afghanistan. Parliament is next week expected to renew a mandate which allows Merkel's government to deploy up to 4,500 in the country, but officials have indicated this number could be raised early next year.

 

 


 

Date created : 2009-11-27

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Top German commander resigns over deadly air strike

    Read more

COMMENT(S)