Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

Exclusive: Israel's US ambassador speaks to FRANCE 24

Read more

#THE 51%

World War One: The war that changed women’s lives

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Ségolène Royal goes for green

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

A look back at some of the Observers' best stories

Read more

DEBATE

Argentina Defaults: Kirchner Cries Foul Over 'Vulture Funds' (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Argentina Defaults: Kirchner Cries Foul Over 'Vulture Funds'

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola death toll tops 700

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Dozens of youths trampled to death on Conakry beach

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Renault's women drivers ad deemed sexist

Read more

  • Exclusive: Israel's US ambassador speaks to FRANCE 24

    Read more

  • Live: Israeli soldier feared captured, ceasefire 'over'

    Read more

  • Ugandan court strikes down anti-gay legislation

    Read more

  • Regional summit to tackle deadly Ebola outbreak

    Read more

  • French hospital to open wine bar for terminally ill patients

    Read more

  • €2.5 million in cocaine ‘disappears’ from Paris police HQ

    Read more

  • Appeal court keeps French rogue trader Kerviel in jail

    Read more

  • Air France ground workers to strike on August 2

    Read more

  • Interactive: France’s new plan to counter jihadism in Africa

    Read more

  • Ukrainian army suffers losses in separatist attack

    Read more

  • Dozens killed and injured in Taiwan gas blast

    Read more

  • Argentinian markets plummet following default

    Read more

  • French Jews speak of growing fear in Paris amid Gaza conflict

    Read more

  • Video: Inside Hamas ‘terror’ tunnels in Gaza

    Read more

  • Sierra Leone declares state of emergency over spread of Ebola

    Read more

Europe

Former defence minister resigns over Afghan air strike

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-11-27

Labour Minister Franz Josef Jung resigned Friday over a German-ordered NATO bombing in Afghanistan in which dozens of civilians are believed to have died. Jung was serving as defence minister at the time of the Sept. 4 strike.

AFP - Germany's former defence minister Franz Josef Jung quit the cabinet on Friday over a deadly bombing in Afghanistan, the day after claims of a cover-up took the scalp of the country's top general.
   
Jung resigned as labour minister only hours after saying he had no plans to quit over the bombing of two oil tanker lorries in the northern province of Kunduz in which dozens of civilians are believed to have died.
   
"After consideration ... I told Chancellor Merkel this morning that I was handing in my position as Federal Labour Minister," Jung told reporters in Berlin.
   
Jung was defence minister at the time of the strike on September 4 and insisted two days afterwards that "only Taliban terrorists" were killed.
   
However a confidential NATO report cited in late October said that the death toll varied between 17 and 142, and that local sources had said between 30 and 40 civilians died.
   
Jung's position had been further weakened after allegations that the defence ministry hushed up another report on civilian casualties and which suggested commanders on the ground did not adhere to the agreed rules of engagement.
   
After chief of staff General Wolfgang Schneiderhan stepped down on Thursday, the clamour for Jung's head had grown even louder.
   
Merkel conspicuously failed to ride to her minister's aid, saying only that full transparency was crucial to win confidence in the Afghan mission, which polls show is unpopular in Germany, the third-largest provider of troops.
   
Jung, not seen as a particularly close ally of the chancellor, had been moved to his new post after Merkel was re-elected two months ago.
   
In a devastating front-page editorial entitled "Resign Please", the Financial Times Deutschland said: "Franz Josef Jung failed as defence minister and should resign from his position as labour minister."
   
"It would be no loss to the cabinet. There's nothing more to say," the paper added, leaving the rest of its front-page editorial column blank in a stark visual statement.
   
"Why is Merkel hanging on to Jung?" asked the influential mass circulation Bild daily, whose initial revelation that a military report on the September strike had been suppressed prompted the scandal.
   
Business daily Handelsblatt said: "The man is out of his depth. No doubt about it, he has to go."
   
Smelling ministerial blood just weeks after Merkel formed her new cabinet after her crushing election victory, opposition parties piled in with vigour.
   
"Mr Jung is not suitable for a government position," said Susanne Kastner, chair of the defence committee in the parliament and member of the main opposition party, the centre-left Social Democrats.
   
Senior Green party politician Hans-Christian Stroebele told the Berliner Zeitung it could not be the case "that the defence ministry is some sort of madhouse where the top people don't know what's being reported in Afghanistan."

Date created : 2009-11-27

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Top German commander resigns over deadly air strike

    Read more

COMMENT(S)