Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa university ends teaching in Afrikaans after protests

Read more

#TECH 24

Cyborg plants: Half-robot, half-shrub

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Merkel's Europe: Open borders undermined by migrant crisis (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

State-sponsored doping? Russia and world athletics (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Newspaper industry: What outlook for the French press?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France: Turning wine into vinegar in the city of Orleans

Read more

ENCORE!

A portrait of two photographers: Karen Knorr and Tom Wood

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

USA: Jewish Americans' rocky relationship with Netanyahu

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Migration top of the agenda for African leaders

Read more

Business

Tiger Woods pulls out of World Challenge after car accident

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-12-02

Injuries sustained in a car accident last week will prevent Tiger Woods from playing in this week's Chevron World Challenge tournament, the world's number one golfer announced Monday.

AFP - Injuries sustained in a one-car accident last week will prevent Tiger Woods from playing in this week's Chevron World Challenge tournament, the world's number one golfer announced Monday.
  
In a statement on his website, Woods said that he would return to action next year. The World Challenge, to benefit his charity foundation, was set to begin Thursday in suburban Los Angeles.
  
"I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week," Woods said. "I am certain it will be an outstanding event and I'm very sorry that I can't be there."
  
A Woods news conference that had been scheduled for Tuesday at the tournament site was also called off.
  
Woods said the reason for his absence was "due to injuries sustained in a one-car accident." Woods crashed his vehicle early Friday morning near his Florida home and was taken to a hospital with scrapes.
  
"We support Tiger's decision and are confident the strong field and excellent course will provide an exciting week of competition," said Greg McLaughlin, president and chief executive of the Tiger Woods Foundation.
  
Citing unnamed sources, The Golf Channel reported that doctors advised Woods not to travel due to headaches and soreness.
  
Woods also missed his charity tournament last year while recovering from knee surgery.

Date created : 2009-11-30

COMMENT(S)