Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Search of Air Algerie crash site continues

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy, Hollande and the scooter wars

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Confusion online over Air Algérie flight

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014 (part 2)

Read more

REPORTERS

Halal tourism on the rise

Read more

ENCORE!

Tunisia's Carthage International Festival turns 50

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

WWI Centenary: the battle for Verdun

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

When big companies want to do good

Read more

  • France calls on its nationals to leave Libya as violence escalates

    Read more

  • Boko Haram kidnap Cameroon minister's wife in deadly attack

    Read more

  • Nibali joins elite group with Tour de France win

    Read more

  • Netanyahu says Hamas 'violating its own ceasefire'

    Read more

  • Muslims prepare for Eid al-Fitr festival

    Read more

  • ‘Irresponsible’ American dad tries to scale Mont Blanc with children

    Read more

  • Ukraine fighting prevents observers from accessing MH17 crash site

    Read more

  • In pictures: Crowds flock to enjoy the Tour de France show

    Read more

  • Video: At the scene of the Air Algérie crash in Mali

    Read more

  • Costa Concordia arrives in port of Genoa to be scrapped

    Read more

  • In pictures: Youths clash with police at banned Gaza protest

    Read more

  • Russia lashes out at new EU sanctions over Ukraine

    Read more

  • Bodies of all Air Algérie crash victims to be brought to France

    Read more

  • Syrian army and ISIS both claim advances

    Read more

  • Briton kidnapped in Yemen freed after five months

    Read more

  • Nibali rides serenely toward a place in Tour history

    Read more

  • Germany's Tony Martin wins 20th stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • New round of Gaza ceasefire talks takes place in Paris

    Read more

Sport

Henry handball could lead to World Cup ban

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-12-02

France striker Thierry Henry could be banned from the start of the World Cup finals next year after FIFA President Sepp Blatter said his blatant handball against Ireland would be investigated by the world body.

REUTERS - France striker Thierry Henry could be banned from the start of the World Cup finals next year after FIFA president Sepp Blatter said his blatant handball against Ireland would be investigated by the world body.

If FIFA's Disciplinary Committee rule against Henry, who handled the ball in the build-up to France's crucial goal in the playoff in Paris last month that saw them secure their place in the finals, they could impose a match ban that could see him miss the start of the finals in South Africa next June.

"The disciplinary committee will open a case into the behaviour of Thierry Henry in the match against Ireland," Blatter told a news conference.

"It is not a question of it being Thierry Henry or another player. But it was blatant unfair play and was shown all over the world. "I am not saying that Thierry Henry will be punished, what I am saying is that he will be examined by the disciplinary committee."

The disciplinary committee does have the power to ban the player and the fact a case has been opened against him suggests he could well be sanctioned with a ban from France's next competitive matches which will be at the finals.

Blatter said the disciplinary committee will also investigate trouble at the World Cup match between Algeria and Egypt and that a working group would be set up to look at the future of the World Cup qualifying competition and whether playoffs should continue.

No change

Blatter also told a news conference there would be no change in the way matches would be officiated at the World Cup next year, with a plan to have two additional referees behind each goal not sanctioned at Wednesday's extraordinary meeting of the FIFA executive committee.

Interpol, said Blatter, would create a new Task Force to deal with illegal betting in sport and in particular in soccer. Blatter surprised journalists when he said there would be no change in the method of officiating at the World Cup.

On Monday he told delegates at the Soccerex business convention in Johannesburg that two additional assistants placed behind each goal would aid the referee in his decision-making and he strongly suggested he would like to see them at the World Cup.

However, the idea, which is currently being trailed by UEFA in the Europa League this season, was not approved by the committee.

"We shall have a look at technology and additional referees, but for the time beig the experiments in the Europa League will go on but for the World Cup, there will be no change in refereeing," he said Asked if he was disappointed by the decision, he replied: "It is not me who makes the decisions, but the committee and the International Board will discuss it next March, but there will be no change for the World Cup."

Date created : 2009-12-02

  • FOOTBALL

    FIFA rejects Ireland's request to be 33rd team at World Cup

    Read more

  • 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

    Henry's handball sparks media storm against 'Les Bleus'

    Read more

COMMENT(S)