Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa university ends teaching in Afrikaans after protests

Read more

#TECH 24

Cyborg plants: Half-robot, half-shrub

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Merkel's Europe: Open borders undermined by migrant crisis (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

State-sponsored doping? Russia and world athletics (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Newspaper industry: What outlook for the French press?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France: Turning wine into vinegar in the city of Orleans

Read more

ENCORE!

A portrait of two photographers: Karen Knorr and Tom Wood

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

USA: Jewish Americans' rocky relationship with Netanyahu

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Migration top of the agenda for African leaders

Read more

Africa

Dozens feared missing after Nile ferries collide

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-12-04

Two passenger ferries have collided in the Nile Delta north of the Egyptian capital, Cairo. Officials say up to 38 are feared missing.

REUTERS - Two Nile river passenger ferries collided on Friday in northern Egypt, with up to 38 people feared missing when one boat broke in half and the other overturned, security and ambulance sources said.

They said at least a dozen people survived the accident near the northern city of Rachid, but there were contradictory reports over how many people may have gone missing.

Security sources put the number of missing people at between 14 and 38, while Egypt's official state news agency quoted the governor of Beheira province as saying that six to eight people were missing. Security sources had earlier put the number at 80.

Public river ferries in Egypt can sometimes be crowded, but authorities do not always record passenger numbers, making an accurate count of the missing difficult.

The two ferries were heading to Rashid city. One was a passenger ferry that broke apart during the accident while the other, carrying both passengers and cars, overturned causing no injuries or fatalities.

A series of road, rail and sea accidents in Egypt in recent years have triggered an outcry over the government's handling of transport safety.

In February 2006, a ferry in the Red Sea caught fire and sank en route to Egypt from Saudi Arabia, killing 1,034 of the 1,400 people on board, many of them poor Egyptians.

An Egyptian appeals court in March this year found the owner of the ferry guilty of manslaughter and sentenced him to seven years in jail, reversing an earlier court decision exonerating Mamdouh Ismail, a member of Egypt's upper house of parliament.

Transport Minister Mohamed Mansour resigned in October over a train crash south of Cairo which killed 18 people.

Date created : 2009-12-04

COMMENT(S)