Zelaya's planned exit to Mexico on hold
Latest update : 2009-12-10
Ousted Honduran President Manuel Zelaya's departure for Mexico has been delayed, Honduras' de facto government said on Wednesday. Zelaya continues to refuge in the Brazilian embassy in Tegucigalpa.
REUTERS - Honduras' de facto government said on Wednesday that plans for ousted President Manuel Zelaya to leave his refuge in the Brazilian Embassy and fly to Mexico had been aborted for the time being.
"It's aborted under current circumstances," the de facto government's foreign minister Carlos Lopez told Honduran television.
The administration in power since Zelaya was ousted in a June coup wants the president to take political asylum in another country, which would restrict his political activities.
But Zelaya has rejected asylum in favor of a looser status that would allow him to campaign fully for his return, Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega said.
Date created : 2009-12-10