Who can stop Bordeaux? The French Ligue 1 leader will be hoping for another win to increase the club's lead when they face Lorient on Saturday. Marseille meanwhile will try to keep Bordeaux in their sights when travelling to struggling Saint-Etienne.
- Champions and leaders Girondins Bordeaux, who host Lorient on Saturday (1800 GMT), have been boosted by news that Morocco striker Marouane Chamakh will stay with them until the end of the season.
"I'm certain to finish the season with Bordeaux, it's clear and simple, and then I'll be free to leave," Chamakh, who has been linked with a move to Premier League side Arsenal in the January transfer window, told France Football magazine.
- Olympique Marseille coach Didier Deschamps, whose second-placed team visit St Etienne on Saturday (2000), said he is not satisfied with the form of former Spain striker Fernando Morientes.
"He's not at 100 percent, he can do better and he knows it," Deschamps told reporters."
- The game against Marseille will be the first in charge for new St Etienne coach Christophe Galtier. Galtier replaced Alain Perrin, who was sacked by the 10-times French champions this week after a string of poor results left them third from
- Nice visit bottom club Grenoble on Saturday (1800) without suspended Mali striker Mamadou Bagayoko, who was banned until Jan. 31 by the French Professional League (LFP) for insulting the referee in a game against Racing Lens earlier
- In-form Lille, who host strugglers Le Mans on Sunday (1600), have been granted permission to build a new 50,000 seater stadium to be completed in 2012.
- Olympique Lyon coach Claude Puel dismissed media reports France midfielder Patrick Vieira could join the seven-times champions from Inter in the January transfer window.
"For me, today, it is not an option," Puel told reporters. Fourth-placed Lyon visit Monaco on Sunday (2000).
- Mauro Cetto is close to a return for Toulouse, who will visit Auxerre on Sunday (1600). The Argentine defender resumed training this week after fracturing his collarbone in September.
Date created : 2009-12-19